Saxophone Forum

by AE
(11 posts)
17 years ago

Best sax

I am new to this, and am a new member so I've read some of the discussions and have wondered what are some of the best saxes of all time and I know in some ways there are too many to list but still I want to get a general idea so I can understand more of the discussions Thx AE

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Mactenor
    (102 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Best sax

New Saxophones Selmer Reference 36 and 54 Kielwerth Yanigasawa Yamaha Rampone and Capozzi P. Mauriat Vintage Saxophones Selmer Mark Vl Selmer Balanced Action Buescher Aristocrat Buescher Top Hat and Cane Conn Chu Berry Conn 6M Alto & 10M Tenor 10M The Martin Alto & Tenor King Zephyr King Super 20 Couf Superba The best of the vintage horns were made from 1930`s to the 1970`s Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post

1. by Mactenor
      (102 posts)

17 years ago

My mistake, should be Rampone & Cazzani

Reply To Post

2. by Saxyboy
      (52 posts)

17 years ago

Mac presents a generous listing here, which I would qualify somewhat if you're really wanting to narrow it down - a rough ranking. Vintage Saxophones: Selmer Mark VI (with 5 digit serial number) Selmer Super Balanced Action Selmer Mark VI (6 digit serial numbers) Conn Connstellation and Conqueror Selmer Balanced Action Conn Artist Model - Naked Lady (thru 1946) King Super 20 Silversonic-Cleveland made Meyer neck King Super 20 (Cleveland Made with Meyer neck) King Zephyr Special (1937-1947) Conn Naked Lady (late 1940's thru Early 1950's) Martin Music Man Model Buescher 400 Top Hat and Cane Martin Commitee (The Martin - 1940's thru late 1950's) King Zephyr (Serial Numbers 237,000 - 305,000) Martin Magna Model Conn New Wonder II (Chu) and Transitional Models Buescher Aristocrat (1930's and 1940's) Couf Superba I and Keilwerth Toneking Special I don't claim to know enough about modern horns to expand or limit Mac's list and what I know about vintage horns is part hearsay and part personal knowledge and part friend's testimony. You guys are welcome to school me more. See ya.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxyboy
        (52 posts)

17 years ago

Oh yeah- most guys would throw the Bufet Super Dynaction in here towards the bottom. Some would include Dolnet's Bel Air. because Lester Young had one. But if you go this deep - what about Pierret - a little Paris boutique manufacturer in the 1960's mainly. So I guess you'd say my list stuck to the major manufacturers.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

Wow Boy and Mac - do you guys keep lists on hand for such occasions? Just kidding - I actually think you've both pretty much nailed the vintage list, although I suspect some non-Selmer fans may feel slighted by the rankings. But Saxyboy's list pretty well mirrors how I think the majority of the vintage sax loving public would have to rank these horns, at least in terms of current popularity and therefore value. The Connqueror and Connstellation are so rare to find, I might boost them up above the 6 digit Mark VI Selmer however. And I don't know if the Martin Magna deserves to be up there or not. I do like their older pro line horns though. I'd like to point out that even if you can't have one of these legendary horns, you can still sound great. Practice well and take private lessons! - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

3. by Donnie The B
      (282 posts)

17 years ago

Wanted to refer someone to these lists, so I don't feel compelled to make my own elsewhere. You guys did enough work on the subject and are close enough for me. So - just bumping this up. - - - Later.

Reply To Post