Saxophone Forum

by AE
(11 posts)
17 years ago

New Sax

I'm looking for a new sax new or vintage and money is not an option. I'm only at an intermediate level but plan to continue playing for a long time so I want to find a good instrument that will last a while

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: New Sax

Mactenor gave you a pretty good list on your other question. I'd just like to point out that it would be far better for you to buy a pro level horn. These tend to hold their value better - or even increase - over time compared to the intermediate models. My Selmer Mark VI has lasted 44 years. The Yamaha 62 or 82 would be a reasonable choice as would the newer pro line Yanagisawas. These would cost somewhat less than a new Selmer Paris pro horn - which I would prefer myself. I would check out the Reference horns first, then the Super 80 Series III. Find a music store with a good selection, take your own mouthpiece and test play these, taking notes as you go. A new horn would likely be a better choice for you than an old one. But if you would rather go vintage, and money is really no problem - put these on your test play list: Selmer Super Balanced Action,; Selmer Mark VI (5 digit serial number?); Late 1930's or 1940's Conn 6M (Alto) or 10M (tenor); King Silversonic Super 20 (1950's or early 1960's); Buescher Top Hat and Cane. Good Luck.

Reply To Post