Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
17 years ago

What are you playing in band?

I want to know what you guys are playing in concert band, wind band, wind symphony, etc. For christmas, we played: -Santa's Songs -Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring -Compilation of Songs having to do with Haunakkah. (I hope I spelled that right) -The Holly and the Ivy (Mannheim Steamroller) -Sleigh Ride (Leroy Anderson) (best christmas song ever.)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Cookienessness
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Re: What are you playing in band?

Well we're just getting the music for our pops concert like in the last week, i'm pretty sure we have more to come. Right now we have James Bond songs (Main theme, Live and Let Die, For Your Eyes Only and Goldfinger) and a Pochahontas medley that I totally love. Lol. I have two solos in that song XD

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

I'll have to add my Amen to Sleigh Ride being a great song for concert band! When we did it, one of our percussionists used a real whip for the "crack!"

Reply To Post

1. by Scrythe
      (22 posts)

17 years ago

yes that song if fabulous. i played it twice at 2 different christmas concerts, one with my wind ensemble at school and the other with a symphony. we(the wind ensemble) played a tribute to leroy anderson, sleigh ride, trumpeters lullaby, the typewriter, and buglers holiday

Reply To Post

1. by jazzplayer15
        (27 posts)

17 years ago

In my wind band we played Sleigh Ride, A Christmas Festival, and An English Christmas Carol. They're all pretty lame, we play them every year so everyone in my band is pretty sick of them. Except for Sleigh Ride, its a great piece. It's a lot of fun. A few months ago we played A Tribute To Leroy Anderson for our first concert. That was my favorite piece.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Actually, I need to qualify my enthusiam for Sleigh ride... it's a great piece, but the part for Tenor Sax is rather, shall we say, monotonous? The best part is listening to everything else that's going on, because you pretty much get to be the "tonal center" on tenor sax! Better than jingling the jingle bells all the way through though. Must really be a job on the hand-arm-wrist!

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

17 years ago

For our holiday concert we played (in no particular order): -A Most Wonderful Christmas -Russian Christmas Music -Sleigh Ride -Christmas Festival -The Eighth Candle -O Holy Night -O Come O Come Emmanuel (in 5/4) -Midnight Sleigh Ride -Patapan pretty good songs...

Reply To Post

3. by straightj23
          (103 posts)

17 years ago

YOU PLAYED THAT MUCH???? HOLY COW!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by straightj23
          (103 posts)

17 years ago

that message was for saxjunkie89. I still can't believe that you played that many songs!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

17 years ago

Re: What are you playing in the Spring?

to tell you the truth, i don't know how we pulled it off! Our football team went into week 16 of high school football (as in states, but we lost 23-28), and the band still had to do marching practice during that time. We actually did not have a full week that we could commit to concert band practice before the concert. Nine songs isn't even the most we've done for our holiday concert. My freshman year we did 12, and last year we did 10. For our spring concert, our director gave us 1812 Overture, American Overture, Eternal Father Strong to Save, and a bunch of other good stuff. How about that? What are you guys playing for your spring concerts?

Reply To Post