Saxophone Forum

by rockinerd
(7 posts)
17 years ago

Can anyone ID this alto by a picture?

Pardon my inexperience.... At first I thought "Great, a unique purple sax for under $500" but now I see all kinds of purples for $298 on e-bay and people saying colors are silly and I'm supposed to see it tonight. The seller says it has no name on the bell, but a "logo - I guess it's an S". Sorry if this is just too stupid, but I just found this site and enjoyed all the discussion of brands on Jim's list. Any help will make me a better person! It's my pic on myspace... www.myspace.com/144491780 Even if the picture is too small, any advice on how to evaluate its quality before I buy. "Don't pay under $500" is relevant if it's a reputable dealer, but in the classifieds, $500 may be too much! Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Can anyone ID this alto by a picture?

the link isnt working for me. im going on a limb here and saying without even seeing it, DONT DO IT. the odds are this is just some cheap relicated horn made from really crappy materials that is was assembled poorly. i have yet to see a horn that is painted of true quality. i think LA sax made a few that were somewhat decent, but were defenitely marked. this defenitely doesnt sound as such. this horn will prbably break very easily and just like many horns similar, techs will not touch them, because they cannot insure quality work on such a low grade horn. i dont think it is possible to actually get a new decent beginners horn for that price.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by rockinerd
      (7 posts)

17 years ago

I don't know why that link didn't work. It's the right URL. I tried that one and the following in my yahoo mail and they both worked. Maybe this one works here... www.myspace.com/144491780

Reply To Post

2. by rockinerd
      (7 posts)

17 years ago

And thanks for the response! Yeah, buyer beware is always good advice. I'm definitely going to give myself a 24 hour cooling off period after I see it.

Reply To Post

2. by rockinerd
    (7 posts)

17 years ago

This link should work... www.myspace.com/144491780

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

17 years ago

it is difficult to see, and i can make no guesses on the make. however, i stick my previous reccomendation. i do a little teaching to beggining students and it kills me when they buy these knock-off horns that wont last more than a year. i have posted on some other threads regarding some better buys for beginners. best of luck!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by rockinerd
        (7 posts)

17 years ago

I didn't buy it. Thanks to all. The "s" the seller referred to is actually whats left after the rest of the name was sanded or burnished off, leaving an unsightly brass spot on the mostly purple bell! I think I saw the last bit of an "n" on the right side, so there you have a Selman. It was fun to hold one again after so long, but I had trouble playing the whole scale. Not sure if it was me or the horn. I think he should drop the price down to the typical ebay price of $150. $495 is a total crock. I've cooled off temporarily and am going to stick with the electric instruments I have and maybe rent one until I can play again before I go out shopping.

Reply To Post