Saxophone Forum

by hsk9146
(8 posts)
17 years ago

Morgan Excalibur

Hello! I've just ordered my Morgan Excalibur. but i heard that these are like smaller and need clarinet ligs. is that true? are they that small? if they are which lig should i get?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Morgan Excalibur

Yes, they are smaller. You would need a clarinet ligature for the alto version of the Excalibur. A few of us in Southern California have discovered that the Olegature clarinet ligature is an excellent match for that mouthpiece (I originally purchased the mouthpiece with a Francois Louis Ultimate ligature, but after much trial and error, stumbled upon the Olegature and mentioned it to a few other players who owned Excaliburs, and they have had similar happy results). Typically, I am not a fan of the Olegature (even though I have several of them), but for me it was the optimal ligature for that mouthpiece. You would be best served by trying out a number of ligatures when your mouthpiece arrives and finding what works best for you. Best of luck!

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

17 years ago

Or you could just stick with a simple two-screw ligature that will hold the reed to the mouthpiece good, and practice.... Ligatures aren't going to make a world of a difference as long as it's doing its job and you have a good mouthpiece (Morgan being very good...). Congrats on getting a new mouthpiece :-)

Reply To Post AIM

2. by hsk9146
      (8 posts)

17 years ago

so I have to buy the Olegature size 1?

Reply To Post

2. by hsk9146
    (8 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for the information!! I really apreciate that. But just one thing, if they are small, then the embrochure has to be different?

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

17 years ago

If it's slimmer it might feel a little different...just as long as you take in enough mouthpiece (not many people seem too...and it opens up the sound a LOT)...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by mvspur
        (9 posts)

17 years ago

I'm new here and may be a little late, but I used to have one of these and I think the Olegature 1S is the best lig for that piece without question.

Reply To Post

2. by krzykrn88
      (27 posts)

14 years ago

as far as olegature goes, either 1s and 2g will fit. 1s will definitely give more perfect, snug fit, while 2g will need to be pushed almost to the end...or, you can simply get a really thick mouthpiece patch to replace that crappy anti-slip cushion they give you...the stock cushion falled apart on me for many times...and you have to screw that thing all they way in....it is not the ideal "fit", but it works as an olegature should. then, i do think if you use thin reeds, 2g would not fit at all...only difference between 1s and 2g for me was that 2g sounds mellower, and 1s sounds more crisp. bonade clarinet ligatures are decent too, although the plates designed for clarinet reeds sometimes damaged my reed. if you wanna go really cheap, the cheap silver clarinet ligs, strings, rubber bands, and duct tapes work decent^^

Reply To Post