Saxophone Forum

by new on sax
(33 posts)
17 years ago

new needs good advice.

Help, help, Oh please someone help. I want to play sax but there are 8 million kinds out there. Where do I start. What kind of sax can I buy for under 500-700 bucks that will sound great and last a long time. What kind of moutpiece is recomended? What about CECILIO on Ebay? They look absolutly gorgeous. Are they crap or not? They are only 300 bucks? What about Simba? I know Yamaha and Selmer and Conn are great. But they cost a fortune. What can I get that is great that dont cost a fortune? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: new needs good advice.

For under $700, if it's good, it will have to be used, I believe. Recently I picked up an E.M. Winston tenor sax - their top of the line 3-4 years ago - which is very lightly used for around your maximum. I've always been a vintage horn snob - but was uneasy leaving a $7000 horn on the bandstand at some spots my oldies rock band has been playing. So now I take the Winston. And I still sound like me. Low Bb is too much of a reach - poor design - but it's mostly OK. And for one tenth the money of my Selmer Mark VI. I refer you to the discussions here - notably Jim's Approved Brands list in the High School section. Also one entitled Best Sax. Stick to these brands. The cheap Chinese horns should be avoided. Some Taiwan horns - like Winston, USA Selmer, Steve Goodson, P. Mauriat and etc. have gotten pretty good now, after being mostly junk 10-30 years ago. So China could learn, but why risk it? The other important thing to do is to get a private instructor. They also might help with the horn search - may have connections or etc. Incidently, a Yamaha 23 lightly used might be only $500 or so - and a 52 might be only $700 or so. These are great to learn on. I know one guy making money with one of these so-called student saxes. - - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by new on sax
      (33 posts)

17 years ago

Re: new needs good advice.

cool thanks for the response. I have seen the yamaha 23 and was wondering if they were groovy or not. I have the money to spend. I just wanted to know if I should or not. I just bought a "simba" for a hundred bucks. First sax. I get it in a week. Ill see what it is like If I like playing and get into Ill check out a yamaha 23. I hear yamaha is VERY VERY consistent with quality thats important. Thanks alot. dave

Reply To Post