Saxophone Forum

by new on sax
(33 posts)
17 years ago

Michael Brecker

What I want to know is where is the love for Michael Breker. I read a ton of these post and have not seen his name I read the entire posts on favorite sax player and inspirations. NO BRECKER Is there no Brecker fans out there? I didnt see any post about him. All Brecker fans give a shout out!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxophone2001
    (31 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Michael Brecker

OMG, His solo in "A Game of Inches" on Gordon Goodwin's BPB XXL album was the BEST Tenor solo I have EVER heard in my life. I dream of soloing like him someday.

Reply To Post

1. by BVP623
      (6 posts)

17 years ago

Funny saxophone2001, I was just listening to that.

Reply To Post

2. by rodtrues
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

Look if some of you cats can get your behind on stage and hold half the audience that Brecker, Bird, Train, Marsalis brothers,Miles,Monk,Satchmo,etc. [no disrespect to all others. ]Than JUST DO IT! Being a performing artist is not a easy thing. For the person who said Bird and Miles played in what ever way you said , Train actually played in constant pain from dental problems, from not making enough $ to just the state of medicine @ the time.You try to play with bad teeth!!! Others had drug problems stemming from bad decisions to the freakin social problems we all seem to forget.( never 4 get the history of this country)Point is these Gifts or artist @ the end of the day are just people who have a passion for the art. and we all stand on thier knee caps ,not thier shoulders. We are in a age now that allows us to pick apart the music in a way thats never been done before. So lets all take a breath, and not be so self righteous, and just do your thang, then send me a copy so I can support YOU.

Reply To Post

3. by Azsax
    (47 posts)

17 years ago

that guy was bad ass. check out the sax summit video of him, lovano and liebman. also check the joni mitchell video when he plays the solo on dry cleaner from desmoines.

Reply To Post

4. by yotengotenor
    (29 posts)

17 years ago

i love michael brecker! i only started really getting into his music about 2 weeks before he died, but im really glad i got to hear his work. his technique is phenomenal, and he's definitely got a lot of originality. i got hooked on a video of a live performance of original rays on youtube, and i still can't stop watching it. i also watched the video his performance of delta city blues in lugano in 2003 i believe. remarkable musician, no doubt about that!

Reply To Post

1. by new on sax
      (33 posts)

17 years ago

Yeah I love him. Actually his stuff with his brother I like more than anything. BRECKER BROTHERS. Randy played flugalhorn. GREAT MUSIC. It is cutting edge jazz with a hint of pop. The songs got the catchy feel of pop but the rhythm is DEFINATLY jazz. check out the song SKUNK FUNK.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

17 years ago

Michael brecker is from the juliard set. They have technique and no feeling. The second blood sweat and tears album was so mechanical. Reminds me of my sister on piano . Michael didn't know when to lay off the gas. Michael was not a jazz player, but rather a techno pop player. I'm a technique advocate , but iif I don't feel it , I don't play it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

If you say so. Bird was extremely sloppy. Cannonball never paused long enough to take a breath (neither did Trane). Frankie Trambaur and his i n t o n a t i o n. Johnny Hodges is squeaky. You can say anything about anyone, but you're jumping to conclusions. A lot of technically 'perfect' players get accused having no feeling, but listen past the chops. I don't think you mean this, but it sounds (to me) like what you're saying is that playing with feeling means messing up a lot (i.e. Arrowsmith).

Reply To Post

2. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

17 years ago

Johnny Hodges was never, NEVER squeaky. He was smooth and lush always.

Reply To Post

3. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

I wasn't trying to say Johnny Hodges's tone is squeaky; I think he's got one of the greatest alto (and soprano) tones in history. I just meant he squeaked sometimes. And I just said all that stuff for effect. I've got nothing against Rabbit.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

thats pretty gutsy, calling out brecker as not being a jazz player, the same guy who pulled 13 grammys?(im not sure about that number). i will agree the grammys are a little iffy, but he has more than enough to make the point. people rag on brecker for being too futuristic with his playing, but folks, jazz is all about pushing the envelope. if you watch videos of brecker playing you can feel the emotion pouring out of him. i watch the video of him playing with paul simon all the time. paul simon, a straight ahead rocker, and brecker pours his heart into that solo. and what about delta city blues, so hip and so full of emotion. say you dont like his playing, but please, out of respect, dont refer to him as not being a jazz player

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxmannwmsu
      (48 posts)

17 years ago

To the people who say that Brecker isn't jazz, then what IS!?! Coltrane isn't jazz if you're defining jazz by the big band era, and neither is Cannonball. In the same respect, Brecker isn't jazz if you're defining jazz by the bop/hard bop era. Jazz is bop. Jazz is latin. Jazz is swing. Jazz is funk. Jazz is kinda out there sometimes. Jazz is evolution. On a more personal note, I'm sorry, but anyone who can play Naima like Brecker did...that's jazz.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by swingstreet
      (315 posts)

17 years ago

There have been posts about Michael Brecker, and his name often pops up in posts about players favorite players. Read the posts again, and you'll find him mentioned.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

17 years ago

I don't think Michael broke any new ground and I don't like to see people force their playing. To me he was not a jazz player

1. by new on sax
          (33 posts)

17 years ago

While Michael is not and never will be my favorite player I must say. He is probably the best player out there. At least in the last 40 years. He has tons of feeling. Listen to ANYTHING by him and his brother. Some of his stuff is way, way out there. Sometimes you get the idea that he is playing notes for the sake of playing notes rather than trying to make music. But dont Steve Via, Joe Satriani, Billy Sheehan ETC ETC all play tons and tons of notes? When someone has aas much prowess as he doeson thier instrument it is natural to overplay and to play too much. But I seem to recal hearing chick corea and stanley clark do the same thing. you gonna say THEY are not jazz musicians. I personally lie sanborn better. But skill wise. Brecker blows him out of the water.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

17 years ago

I think Joe Satriani snd Steve Vai are two of the more boring guitarists out there. I ran into Michael a few times and I didn't like the way he played.

2. by new on sax
            (33 posts)

17 years ago

To say Via and Satch are boring is fine that is called opinion You probably like stevie ray, hendrix and clapton whatever. its cool but to say BRECKER AINT JAZZ!!!!!!! WOW! What is he? He's NOT Soul, swing, funk, classical, hip hop, ragae, rock, pop blues, r&b, punk or disco. What's left??????? He plays jazz scales. I mean really. Like or dont like. thats opinion. BUT HE'S NOT JAZZ???? That is just a strange comment.

Reply To Post

3. by barisax999
            (400 posts)

17 years ago

actually brecker played a ton of funk, swing, rock, and pop. most of his stuff was not straight ahead "jazz" as most people thin of it. he was a studio musican for years and has brushed with all sorts of music. listen to the album heavy metla bebop, its about the most abstract fusion ii've heard. almost if not all of it is done with his sax on a synthesizer. im backing him as a jazz player. but he has extended his playing to the far reaches of jazz and its fusion with rock.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by Dark Eyes
            (138 posts)

17 years ago

Found this great Brecker clip. Let's see if this changes Jamterry's mind a little :-) I thought it had an enormous amount of feeling and it wasn't straight technique. It was soulful and I enjoyed it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7KvI1uL_B8 Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

5. by bigred
            (43 posts)

17 years ago

I've seen that video and that is really great. But if any of you even consider yourself a true sax player and can't recognize the harmonic and technical genius of Michael Brecker, you are absolutely nuts. And calling Michael Brecker not jazz is like a deadly sin. I got an album for you to check out, Mccoy Tyner "Infinity." Check out that shit he is laying down on there and then tell me that brecker isnt jazz. Im almost appauled by some of these comments. Michael Brecker isnt jazz lol. RIP

Reply To Post

6. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

17 years ago

Michael Brecker was the greatest sax player I've ever heard. \He did things that all of us only dream about. Any want to be( Poser) who puts Michael down on this rag is really showing their stupidity......Kelsey
            Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM