Saxophone Forum

by eric_saxdestined
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Yanagisawa A-991 vs. Cannonball vs. Yamaha 875

hi everyone im currently playing a Yamaha YAS 23 in band and a tenor Yanagisawa A-901 in jazz band. my yamaha doesnt sound good anymore and i never took care of it like how im taking care of my tenor now. (got it last august). im gonna be a senior next year and most likely to be the saxophone section leader. even if im section leader and in charge, i dont really want to be showed up and outplayed by this one incoming freshmen whom i've heard was really good. he plays a cannonball and it has near perfect tone. as of now theres a freshmen whos gonna be a sophomore next year and shes also good. she plays the Yamaha custom 875, but im not as worried about her. i'm really looking at buying the Yanagisawa A-991 alto. i've done research and Yanagisawa seems to be the superior saxophone despite the worldwide corporations of Yamaha and Selmer. i dont find much information about the Cannonball brand. is it American? or German? i cant find anything about the brand on wikipedia or anything, so i dont know what models there are. i know i shouldnt be worried too much about next year if i actually start practicing at home again, even with my not-as-good-anymore Yamaha. any tips, comments, or suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jaja999
    (15 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Yanagisawa A-991 vs. Cannonball vs. Yamaha 875

I've tryed out the 991, a cannonball, and the Yamaha 82z (not sure how it compares to the 875 but ive heard they are similar). It could have just been that horn but i didnt like the cannonball, the sound just wasnt as full as the 991 and the 82z. In the end i choose the z, i felt like it was a more versatile instrument and had a "wider range of tonal colors." The 991 was definately an nice horn though. As i'm sure u've been told, you should try the out yourself to see what you personally like the best.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

17 years ago

Cannonball sounded bright...a nice tone doesn't depend on the saxophone. Just play on whatever you can, get the one you find works best, and practice. Right now in my band 3rd chair is playing a Vito, 7 chairs later is a girl playing a Selmer Series III ;P

Reply To Post AIM

1. by vipegrad
        (47 posts)

17 years ago

Ah, I beg to differ. The sax does have a larger effect on tone than you might think. The second chair alto at our school plays a Cannonball and sounds horribly bright, but he broke it one day and had to use his sisters alto (she is in the seventh grade and plays a reference 54, he is a junior on a cannonball) and he sounded amazing. The tone was dark and rich, but he thought it was depressing and refused to listen to anyone around him when we told him how much better he was. So in summary, a sax will make a big difference in tone for some people, especially the undeveloped player. Cannonballs are horribly bright, and yanagisawas tend to play quite nicely, but, I only play a tenor 901, but would deffinitely look into the 991 if I needed an alto. Hope this helped.

Reply To Post

1. by eric_saxdestined
          (2 posts)

17 years ago

i play Yanagisawa tenor 901 too. i play that in jazz band. its a silver plated

Reply To Post

2. by vipegrad
          (47 posts)

17 years ago

I will be majoring in music ed in college and I will use my Yanagisawa 901 tenor the whole way. It is an excelent horn with great intonation, tone, and feel. The only thing I would consider replacing it with is a Yanagisawa 9937 tenor, but, that is not in the near future unless I win the lottery...twice.

Reply To Post

2. by straightj23
        (103 posts)

17 years ago

It depends on what style you prefer. But, regardless, you can't go wrong with Yamaha. I just got a silver-plated Yamaha 82Z Alto Sax. It's great! I haven't tried Yanagisawa saxes, so you can give them a try if you like. I don't like cannonball so much.

Reply To Post Yahoo!