Saxophone Forum

by Phoenix
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Funk Chord Progression

I am starting a Jazz/Funk Band and i was wondering if anyone knew some of the basic chord progressions for funk. The group will consist of alto sax, tenor sax, trumpet, bass, guitar, and Keys,and drums if that makes any differnce.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by gullioto
    (3 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Funk Chord Progression

funk chord progressions? Isn't is all about one-chord (usually E) jams? ;-) The tunes are usually pretty simple to transcribe from the recording. If that's too difficult, I'd refer to the New Real books. There are some great tunes by Herbie Hancock, etc.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

17 years ago

Yeah, I saw the thread title and wondered if it was a trick question. If you look at a Hancock funk song, there isn't much of a pattern to what little progression exists, just whatever fits the goove. Chameleon's a good example. Or you could do something like Canteloupe Island, where there's 4 different chords with 4 bars each, and they all have totally different sounds(except chords 1 and 4 are the same). It's not like Be-bop, it's mostly just a jam.

Reply To Post

1. by straightj23
        (103 posts)

17 years ago

Some songs you could try to make your own are: -Pick Up The Pieces (Average White Band) -Chameleon (Herbie Hancock) -Respect (Aretha Franklin) -Give It All You Got (Chuck Mangione) -Play That Funky Music, White Boy -Brick House -and a whole bunch of funk tunes out there. You could also look into Dave Koz, Miles Davis, and David Sanborn. good luck to you!

Reply To Post Yahoo!