Alright, Im going to start off

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

Re: New Players not paying Respect

i appreciate these new guys playing new music. tse can play all the classics, but he doesnt feel the need to record those pieces. they have been recorded time and time again. when i look for a recording of the ibert, there is no shortage and honestly, im sick of hearing everybody play the ibert over and over again. im looking for new people to record mainly new stuff. otis murphy, a new hot player, recorded brand new music, but still did the creston sonata and bozzas aria. the way i see it, you need a mix, but i am more keen on new stuff being recorded.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by hselmer9966
      (31 posts)

17 years ago

i as well appreciate the new music. i love the fact that only a few other instruments have more music written for them than we do, but i would love to hear tse come out with a recording where he just plays the shit out of a lot of classics. the classic songs are what got him where he is now. but again i agree with you, there are about 7 different recordings of the ibert and other songs like that, but what about songs like the dahl and creston concertos. there are maybe 3 a piece, and those are some classics that will challenge tse, and murphy, and mcallister

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

im right there with you on the creston concerto. its one of my favorite pieces of music and its never recorded. although i did see otis murphy perform it live. obviously he played it extremely well. honestly, the solution is for more people to just record more, whatever it is. and the even bigger solution is for more people to buy classical saxophone CD's. of course, in the world we live in, its very difficult to produce such cd's because the legit sax world is so small

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Azsax
          (47 posts)

17 years ago

i'm sure they will get around to it if they feel the need. murphy and tse more likely than mcallister. delangle is just now getting ready to put out a cd of concertos by glazunov, etc. and he is much older than these new players, who in my point of view are no longer new players.fyi, mcallister just recorded a chamber symphony by daniel mccarthy, called towers of power. as the title states it deals with among other things music from the group tower of power. the soloist is required to play sop, alto and tenor. as we know, these guys have a responsibility and a desire to play new tunes. next time you run into to one of these guys, i would love to hear you say- hey, i think you are not showing respect to the established repetoire because you have never recorded any of the pieces- you may find your foot in your mouth.

Reply To Post

2. by hselmer9966
          (31 posts)

17 years ago

if you noticed i said that i respect that they are the people who are commisioning new pieces. but i would just like to hear them play some standards. i mean, i think its great that there are tons of pieces being written ecery year for saxophone, and most of the reasons why are theses guys, but i mean, as a college student im tld by my professor to learn all the standards because thats what ill be teaching, but the way i see, the only times the classics are played is thoughtout you upbringing. and if i ever ran into kenneth tse i would probably wet myself in awe!

Reply To Post

3. by jaylaczsax
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

Prof. T. has/does play the standards on a regular basis. On his faculty recital last fall he played Denisov for example. He recently did a tour where he was playing Dahl. A few years ago here in Iowa, he played both Ibert and Glazunov with the Des Moines symphony I believe. He has told me he wishes to record another sonata CD, with standards like Denisov, Albright, and Creston, however, he has another project that he is working on. JL

Reply To Post

2. by autaktak
        (1 post)

17 years ago

Dale Underwood has recorded the Creston Concerto with Band, but yet..I have found one with Orchestra?

Reply To Post