Ok, I have one dilemma. I have

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Tenor Jazz Mouthpieces!!!!

Why metal? And what kind of sound are you looking for might help. Sounds like your looking at some pretty bright pieces...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxophone2001
      (31 posts)

17 years ago

I love the sound of the metal pieces. I have a Meyer 7* now, and want to try something brighter. I want something in the contemporary area, good for playing funk/fusion/R&B with good sound in Altissimo and low notes

Reply To Post

1. by saxophone2001
        (31 posts)

17 years ago

Actually, I see a Otto Link 6 on eBay now, and I think I'll look at that more. Any opinions?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

If you are talking about a Link Super Tone Master, that is my mouthpiece of choice for most of my vintage tenors. However I would say that if you can handle the facing size, these don't really start to open up and shine until you get to an 8 facing or so (8* is even better). Some who favor smaller tip openings/facings may disagree, but many complaints heard about these being stuffy or not having projection can usually be traced to either poor breath control too small a facing on the Link MP in question, or both.

Reply To Post

2. by ilovesupersessions
        (1 post)

16 years ago

I also play a Ref 54. I used a Gurdala Super King (very versatile, easy to blow) if I wanted to do battle with my electric guitar or lead trumpet player, I play a Sugal Kirk Whalen for my Praise Band gig (really fat tone), and I use an old Selmer Soloist C* (scroll) for everything else including classical. Ironically, I tried an old Link 8* that I had lying around and found that to be a very satisfying sound on my ref 54 as well. I'm kind of a mouthpiece junkie with a lot of private students, so I keep them to let them try before they buy. If you can find one, the old SML hard rubber mouthpieces are awesome classical setups. What style of playing are you into? I loooovvve my 54!

Reply To Post