I'm looking to buy a new Yanag

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxyboy
    (52 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Reputable Sax Dealers

John- How about this site - Saxquest? They have a store in St. Louis, I believe, and are certainly supporting the hobby by bankrolling this forum. They have a bunch of horns listed for sale online here - and could almost certainly get your new Yani for you if they don't list one. The Yani baritone would likely be a fine choice among the new horns available. $5295 sounds like a good price. Prowinds will likely deliver a new baritone to your door soon after they get paid. Just remember, then you have to get it set up right. This may involve slight adjustments to key height related to your preferences, or it might SHOULD involve taking all the keys and rods off the tube and putting it back together right. Read about Saxquest's new horn set-ups. The other thing is: what about your local dealer? Might it be worth 5% more to support your local store and make an ally for your playing career? Plus - they would likely at least adjust the new horn for you in their price - maybe worth $100?

Reply To Post

1. by John Newman
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

Saxboy - Thank you for your comments. I was torn between the Yani B991 and the Yamaha YBS62. I just purchased the Yamaha. I like Saxquest a lot, but since they are not a Yamaha dealer, I bought the horn elswhere. I enjoy the forum, and plan to buy some accessories from Saxquest in the future. Thanks again, John

Reply To Post

1. by Saxyboy
        (52 posts)

17 years ago

John- The Yamaha 62 is a fine horn. Sturdy construction - important with unwieldy bari's - and somewhat easier to play in tune than the old vintage saxes. In fact the 62 line used to be their top pro models until maybe 2001-2002. I suspect they are still made the same way. I bought a little used YTS-62 once (cost about $1700) and really liked it, but ended up going more vintage. The Yamaha seemed overly bright to me - but this may be a good thing with throaty sounding baritones, and is preferred by many on tenors.

Reply To Post