Help i have a selmer v6 and my

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Glue For alto sax pads

DONT COME WITHIN 100 FEET OF YOUR SAX WITH A TUBE OF SUPER GLUE!!!!!!!!!!!! Use shelac. The best stuff comes in the form of a black stick of shelac. You can get it at any hobby shop or even maybe a Wal Mart or whatever. How to replace a sax pad: -First, take the key off. I mean OFF, not open. Get some eyeglass screwdrivers and completely remove the part from the horn. High F is easy because you only have to remove one part to fix it, but, as you can imagine, a key like the A key (meaning *2* on the upper stack) is a little more difficult. -Then, make sure you clean any excess junk out of the pad cup. Goo-Gone will get the job done. -Next, using a gas match, melt a drop of shelac into the pad cup and quickly press the pad into the cup and hold it for about 30 seconds. -After that, put the key back on the horn and hold the key shut while holding the gas match flame to the back of the pad cup. ***Use a gas match, not a candle of a normal match*** Hold for about 30 seconds. Then, take the flame away and hold for another 30 seconds. This will seat the pad on the tone hole so it wont leak. *Also, use this pad seating method described in the last step to fix most leaks. Avoid bending keys whenever possible.

Reply To Post

1. by Selmerv6
      (5 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks Very Much I Am Really Gratefull

Reply To Post

1. by kellyshorns
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

Watch out for the amount of heat used on Selmers...the lacquer crisps quickly. ALso I usually need to put in more than a drop..to move a pad around you need a bit of a base to "float" the pad and a tool to move it. The tool can be any slim flat metal blade( butterknife?) A leaklight would be a great help here but a feeler guage, make it from a cigarette paper, would help. Watch out for what other pads/keys are affected by the pad you change. A palm key pad is no problem...f# in the stack can be as lots of other things are dependent on it. Good luck Kelly

Reply To Post