im a jazz player and I need to

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

17 years ago

Re: *new mpc question

You should really blow on it for a few months to be sure. Sometimes it takes that long for the novelty to wear off and the true nature of the piece to be revealed.

Reply To Post

2. by Jnewmann
    (12 posts)

17 years ago

Rehearsing is a part of the journey, part of my personal enjoyment. What are you trying to accomplish by switching mouthpieces? If the piece is a good match to your instrument, it shouldn't take a lot of work. Reed choice can make a big difference too.

Reply To Post

3. by nbaguy1
    (11 posts)

17 years ago

The only way to get a mouthpiece that's right for you is to have one custom made. Talk to David Jary at jarycustom.com - he'll create it and play test it to exactly how you want it to perform

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

17 years ago

I have a friend with a Jary custom Link STM. Great piece! Now before you get a piece custom made, think about your playing characteristics vs. how you want to sound... then discuss it at length with your mpc. guy.

Reply To Post

1. by redmondd
        (5 posts)

17 years ago

i alternate between an Otto link metal #7 and a hard rubber Otto Link #7 with my Selmer Super Action 80 Tenor Sax. I play in our Community Band and our Church Big band. I like to get a Custom made mouth piece, I agree i really need to think about exactly what i want: more control and freer blowing and tone. i recently tried out a Vandoren hard rubber T45, a Berg Larson .95 tip opening and a Dukoff #5, I liked the Dukoff but felt that i like my Otto link with a Vandoren Java 2.5 reed better. I like to try a Berg Larson metal .95 and see if it is freer blowing in he lower register. I would love to meet the moutch piece designer in person and explain to him what i need. It is difficult for me to put it in writing.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
          (282 posts)

17 years ago

There is another mouthpiece maker you can talk to by the name of Patrick Springer. He will recommend which of his designs and baffles is right for what you want. Go to www.springermpc.com to read more. Springer makes a first class hand finished hard rubber mouthpiece for around $150 I think. Fred Rast at rastmusic.com might not give such personal service, but his $400 mouthpiece is top notch. The others I know of that give some level of personal service are Jody Espina and Dave Jary, but I have no real experience with them. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

17 years ago

The best thing to do with any mouthpiece is play it for a week or two then determine what it is about it you don't like - then see if you can overcome the obstacle by working the tone, maybe try some different reeds. Now some mouthpieces are junk and require more effort than necessary, but some just take time to settle into. If you think there are specific issues with a mouthpiece, have someone else play it on your setup and on their own setup and see if they experience the same thing.

Reply To Post