How can i make my sax scream?.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jnewmann
    (12 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Screamin'!!!

There is the saxophone 'growl" which is produced by humming while playing. This effect can be done also by relaxing the the back of the tongue and roll it like an "r" (Think Charro :) You can also get the tone to break by opening your embouchre, but raising your tongue position so the air moves very quickly. Experiment with changing your vowel used in tone production to get different tones. Most students are taught using AHH for normal tone production. Subtone and cooltone using an "ooh, du, or lu", like blowing out a candle. Add edge by using "ay" "ee" or "ih". By changing the "vowel" you can effect air velocity, which can change tone Altissimo register control - Top Tones for the Saxophone by Sigurd Rascher. There is an exercise blowing overtones that not only gives you control in altissimo, but the are great overall tone building drills.

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

You mean like the stuff Mike Brecker does?

Reply To Post

1. by Joe Bananas
      (71 posts)

17 years ago

Yes, exactly like the stuff Michael Brecker does.Could you explain how to get this nasty sound from my sax?

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
    (653 posts)

17 years ago

frankly, the only way anyone will copy brekers's growl exactally is to ask him

Reply To Post