Saxophone Forum

by 101sunshines
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Herb Couf Superba I Tenor Saxophone dated: early 1970s (77,xxx)

I've been looking around at professional tenor saxes. I stubled across a vintage Couf Superba I. What do you think about this horn?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jnewmann
    (12 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Herb Couf Superba I Tenor Saxophone dated: early 1970s (77,xxx)

This is a nice professional model instrument that is very unique in its playing characteristics. strees the heaviness of the horn material, darker sound quality, and excellent intonation these horns have. I had purchased an alto and to this day am kicking myself for selling it.

Reply To Post

2. by oldtenorpicker
    (5 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Herb Couf Superba I Tenor Saxophone dated: early 1970s (77,xxx)

I bought my Couf tenor (Superba 1) in 1982. It was new. It has black (sort of) nickel plating on the neck & body, gold colored keys (probably lacquer). I did not think it was especially attractive, as I feel the horn would look better with ordinary lacquer, just a matter of personal taste. It plays like a million dollars. It has a real nice dark sound, low register is fairly easy to control, low Bb speaks well, never "honky". This horn plays IN TUNE all the way up to the altisimo "C" and will play every harmonic in between F# and "C" in tune, including the "Ab". It will play the "C#" &" D" with a little effort. I really like this horn, and I have owned Selmer Mark VI's Conn 10M, King Super 20, Keilwerth ST90 ( I think that's right, it's the one with regular tone holes" , and Selmer Mark VII. I've played the Yamaha Custom, really like the ease of playing the low notes (C and below) The Selmers have the best key action. I play a Selmer SA80 first edition Alto. Won't part with it.

Reply To Post