I am in the market for a new h

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

17 years ago

Re: New Horn

A 10M is extremely hot. Look back in the archives. I had one that really kicked ***. Sold it to get a selmer- BIG MISTAKE!

Reply To Post

2. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

If you've got a 10M then you have one of the best tenors ever made. The Reference is new and good, but why spend over 5 grand for something that won't sound better than what you've already got? As for what's hot, the 10M is plenty hot.

Reply To Post

3. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

17 years ago

If you really want new I think you should try a YTS-82Z next to anything else you consider. I'm a relative noob to the sax, but when I went shopping I thought the Yamaha was at least as good (playing and sounding) as horns that cost $1500+ more...

Reply To Post

4. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

The late 1930's and early 1940's Conn 10M Tenors are among the most highly thought of vintage horns. The 10M lost their rolled tone holes in 1947, if I recall, but still are well thought of through the late 1950's models. At some point in the 1960's Conn, as well as most American manufacturers, started downhill. Around this same period the Buescher pro line tenors are quite good. The Martin Tenor models from the late 1940's through the early 1960's are really fine horns. The early King Zephyr Specials and Cleveland made (through the early 1960's) King Super 20 tenors are very good. The Super Balanced Action and Mark VI Selmers from the late 1940's through the late 1960's are the most expensive vintage saxes generally and are very highly regarded. You can go to saxgourmet.com to get some idea of values in near perfect shape. As far as new horns, you need to go to a big music store with your own mouthpiece and cleaning supplies and play a bunch of them - perhaps even compare to some vintage models they might have. The Yamaha YTS-62 from the late 1990's was their pro line horn and can be had in great shape for less than $2500 - perhaps far less. This horn is easy to play in tune with nice modern keywork. You'll find the sound a bit brighter than most vintage saxes, I suspect. The newer Yamahas and Yanagisawa saxes are a bit cheaper than the new Selmer Paris models, I really don't know how the Keilwerth pro line is priced now. It's just a matter of preference. I would greatly prefer a Selmer Reference 36 in brand new horns, but you might not. They all need to be set up right though. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

just in case you are concidering the ref54, please take into concideration- if you like a full bodied sound, dont get one, one of the better tenor players i know sounded like... well, we all know what word goes here, and they are used to selmers, at least try a different mp, i think they were still playing a c*

Reply To Post