I've read Jim's list & have el

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by lo pro
    (19 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Help! Need an Alto for my son starting band

Renting to own is definitely a good way to go. However, some of these horns can be in pretty bad condition. If you are willing to spend the money on a YAS-23 I would suggest doing that. They are good horns and it would work well for your son for years. If you decide to go another way, I would suggest taking the horn to the person who will be giving your son lessons and asking them to try it out and see what they think. They should be able to tell you right away whether it would work well or not. Good Luck!

Reply To Post

1. by LittleRedWagon
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

Thank you. My not so dear husband completely disregarded my research & did what he wanted. Grrr! He picked out a rent to own (new horn), but it's not on Jim's list & I am a bit, well, steamed. After I find someone to give the private lessons, I'll be inquiring as to their opinion of the horn we have now. And, then I'll decide on a move to the Yamaha. Again, thank you. :)

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

16 years ago

Keep us posted LRW, Maybe it won't be all that bad. It's certainly better to purchase a cheap asian horn locally than it is over the internet just for the local warantee and service. Also, all reports indicate that far east instruments are improving steadily. It's possible you have acquired a suitable instrument. good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by ki4qwq
      (15 posts)

16 years ago

The yas-23 is the best horn for a beginner. That was my first horn, and it's survived 11 years of playing (4 years of band camp, included ;)). The intonation is relatively good, the tone quality (after a little practice) is actually quite remarkable. Woodwind Brasswind is a very reputable site. They sell brand-new 23's for about 1200. It's kinda pricey, but it'll go all the way through college, if you take care of it. However, if he takes it seriously, it will hold him back. An intermediate horn runs about 2 grand, and my custom horns (professional) will run upwards of 3. A new yanagisawa can cost more than 7. But still, a 23 is a very good horn

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

the intermediate yamaha alto was at one time cheaper than the 23. its a good horn, i think it still is cheaper than the 23

Reply To Post

1. by Altonian11
          (39 posts)

16 years ago

I've noticed that on the yamaha tenor too, why would they do that?

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

no idea, but im not complaining

Reply To Post