Hey everyone, I'm new here, a

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Need help - Jazz chords

There's no 'one-size-fits-all' guidebook, but here are a cople of suggestions: 1. Find any method/practice book that has 'arpeggio' exercises -- that's just a way of saying note sequences based on the most common 3- and 4-note chords. 2. Find a theory book that explains the b7, #9 jazz stuff and how it relates to various scales/keys. One candidate is 'Jazzology: The Encyclopedia of Jazz Theory...' 3. Just play along with the song until you're happy!

Reply To Post

2. by Jnewmann
    (12 posts)

17 years ago

Hal Leonard Publishing has quite a few chord and scale theory books. You may want to try Barnes and Nobles or B Dalton books in the "Learn to Play Guitar", for they have a few books that outline chords and the appropriate scale. Most of the chords you have written are based off of a dominant 7 chord. What does that mean? In simplest terms, it is a major chord, tones 1,3,5 of the major scale. The next tone is the flat 7th of the scale. Example a c7 chord is c,e,g, and b flat.

Reply To Post

1. by saxplaya81
      (110 posts)

17 years ago

The book you need to get is Patterns For Jazz by jerry coker. I start all my beginning improv students with this book. It gets very in depth in learning and playing chords but the first thng you need to do though is learn your scales especially before getting into this book. Theres plenty of places on the net where you can get a list of scales. and most important MEMORIZE them. I suggest playing all 12 major scales everyday as part of your regular practice routine, once you get those down move on to the minors. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

3. by viper
    (6 posts)

16 years ago

this isn't something you should be doing last minute-get w/a piano player, pay the guy if you have to

Reply To Post

4. by jdub
    (3 posts)

16 years ago

Free Jazz theory primer

Hi. This is something I have used extensively when I was begining to learn theory. I've found it useful in explaining modes and the chords that go over them- It is free, fairly organized and straightforward. www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/" target="other">www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/

Reply To Post