The Conn 10m Saxophone.The bes

Knights Templer. The Conn 10m

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by allthewoodwinds
    (12 posts)

17 years ago

Re: The Conn 10m Saxophone.The best ever made.

Right now, the CONN 10M is my favorite. I've got a 1952 10M that was re-laquered in 1971 and re-padded in 2004. My uncle first let me borrow it when I was still in high school while I was using a King Super 20, which I never really liked. It played kinda' flat, and I could never get it in tune. I used a Guy Hawkins 6 metal, a LINK 5 STM, and a Selmer C metal. Didn't help. My music teacher didn't want to have it adjusted, because no one else ever complained about it. When I got back the 10M again in 1997; I always went to it because it gave me the sound I had in all the other saxes I've owned. I play it outside, in church and in concert band. Big, beautiful sound with regular dome metal resonators. My 10M has an enormously wide sound that can also be centered and focused when I use different mouthpieces. The best mouthpiece combo for me so far is a silver SUGAL JB101 7* with Alexander Superial #2 reeds and an Olegature. My second choice is a ZAGAR Cool School #8 with a Beechler metal lig and Alexander DC #2 reeds. Last, but not least is a silver Guy Hawkins 9 metal with BG silver metal lig and La Voz Med Soft reeds. People love the sound out of my 10M. I can blast it across a football field with no strain. Always in tune, and sings up and down the scale with little or no effort. Sounds super clear and crisp when recorded. I've owned a MARK VI (gone), Yani T991, Jupiter 889SSG (gone), Yamaha YTS-23 (gone), Monique (ugh!-gone) and Amati Kraslice (gone). I'll take the 10M over all of them. Although I'd rank the Amati, second.

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

17 years ago

Wrong, i'd say King Super 20. Only because that's what I play now. That's a tough question, because the 10M is a great horn and in my experience just plain gives good boogie. Big bold sound, in tune, looks great, feels great, and has one thing the Super 20 doesn't. A naked lady! (Still, I love my King) I'd also have to add the 6M to this mix. Now the real question is: is this really Tango? It should read "Knights Templar" (spelling error) and BIRD LIVES.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Danger Will Robinson..... DANGER, DANGER, DANGER! I hope you are going to keep your commentary in the first person this time Tango. The 10M/30M is without a doubt ONE of the best tenor saxophones designs in the history of the instrument, but there are many other contenders of equal worth. Thankfully we have many great makes and models to choose from.

Reply To Post

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
        (255 posts)

17 years ago

Ok Saxismyaxe. Leaving the forum .Testing out and find the same old problem. Sad Very sad. Ill go back to a forum where there is decent people.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Ritchie, Just make sure you don't hang your shingle up at SOTW either. As an Administrator there, I can assure you we don't need the headaches and drama.

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Oh well... at least you said that in first person.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

17 years ago

I think that a lot of Tenors and Baris play good including the 10M, but for alto, i like my Mk VI. I take it, that being you posted 10M, you mean tenor. I've had my the tenor and alto since 1966, and I wouldn't part with them.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

17 years ago

The 10M and its little brother the 6M are definitely among the greatest ever made, as are the 26M and 30M. As far as I'm concerned, they beat any Mark VI 's I've tried. I know I can get a lot of arguments on that, but that's my experience. I also think the King Super 20, the Buescher Aristocrat and 400, and "The Martin" saxes are equals.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Hey Swingstreet, Were you and I separated at birth? I find our opinions on most things jive in perfect harmony. Signed, Your long lost brother. :D

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Swingstreet, Saxismyaxe, mom and dad want to know if you guys are coming home for Christmas this year! Bring your horns! Good to hear from you again Tango. Hope all is well on the other side of the pond. Happy Holidays Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!