Hi! i've been playing my alto

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxplaya81
    (110 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Jazz Mouthpiece for Tenor??

the best thing to do is go to a music store and play as many mouthpieces as you can and get the one that suits you, that question is asked many times in forums and usually leads to as many opinions as stars in the sky or arguments. But if you want names, jody jazz makes an outstanding hard rubber mouthpiece that will give you a great jazz sound. It also depends on how much you wanna spend. I play a jody jazz dv 7* which cost me $500.00 theres other mouthieces like the jody hard rubber, or dukoff and beechler, and otto links that are way less expensive. Good luck

Reply To Post

2. by susanyost32
    (6 posts)

16 years ago

Unfortunately we live in a bad time for saxophone mouthpieces as most if not nearly all of the current production mouthpieces are totally unplayable. Basically the facings are not correct enough to allow the reed to even begin to vibrate properly. So you question of what mouthpiece for young jazz students to get becomes a very important one. A bad unplayable mouthpiece will sour your fun in a hurry. I'm going to suggest some version or the other of a ralph morgan tenor mouthpiece. There are even some inexpensive student vesions and they are all hand faced like mouthpieces used to be so they play clearly and will give you a fun place to start.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

16 years ago

Well made mouthpieces...RPC, Morgan, Vandoren, and Jody Jazz are a few great ones.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Christian Anderson
        (73 posts)

16 years ago

i have a couple of the new selmer soloists, facings E and F that both get a really rich tone, and they are pretty cheap too. i got both for less than $75 used.

Reply To Post

1. by senior
          (23 posts)

16 years ago

I use a Morgan jazz 8M mouthpiece on both of my tenors. They are hand finished and are great players. You might want to look into a 6M to start out with. The down side to the Mouthpiece is it is about $170.00 from Jukedude but well worth it.

Reply To Post