Have you heard to talk or try

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by wvujazzman
    (48 posts)

16 years ago

Re: new sax

I traded a 1937 Selmer balanced action tenor for a new Mauriat System 76, and a 1946 conn 6M alto for a new Mauriat 76... Haven't regretted the switch for one minute. A good friend of mine (professional player) swapped 3 horns - selmer mk VI tenor, SBA alto, and Yamaha 62 sop for new Mauriat horns and feels the same way. Fantastic, very free blowing horns. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. They don't have the mystique of the older horns, but the sound is fantastic. Eric

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

16 years ago

I wouldn't trade a Mark Vl or SBA for a Mauriat System 76. No matter how good the Mauriat's are, the Selmers are worth a lot more money. Now I might sell a Selmer and buy a Mauriat. Then take the extra money and go on vacation. I've got to play one of those Mauriat horns sometime. They are really beautiful to look at. They are priced really low. But then again they are probably just another piece of junk like so many of the new horns. Now with the Conn 6M an even trade might be OK........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by wvujazzman
        (48 posts)

16 years ago

If your horns are investments, I'd agree completely. But if you're playing the horns on a regular basis... and the tone is better, the keywork is better, the intonation is better... AND you get enough money to buy 3 new Jody Jazz mouthpieces... why not? As you said, you really should play one sometime. Here's another thought... the Selmers are only worth a lot more money if you actually sell them... if you keep them, they're just like any other horn - the value is in how well they play and sound. Eric

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

I play saxophone for a living, such as it is. My set of Mark Vl's are very old but play very well. If I have a horn stolen or destroyed I will try some of the newer horns on the market. I'll also try out several old Mark Vls. Same thing with mouthpieces. If it works don't fix it. I'll get back to you on this world shakeing problem......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by marksc
          (5 posts)

16 years ago

Kelsey, I'm with you on this one. I'm not selling my VI for anything. It does what I need it to do. I also have two other saxes that I use "live" due to the rigors of road life and they are Moniques (Taiwan). Both play exceptionally well and sound great, however, they are not and don't have the same characteristics as the Mark VI. Not as important "live" as it is on a recording that "lives on". I have recently heard about the Mauriat horns.....going to check them out...might be time for a different "live" horn. Who knows?!?

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

I live in Florida. Occasionally I have to play an outside gig. The weather here is beautiful but salt air's not good for my old Mark Vl's . I keep an old Yamaha tenor for those gigs. The Yamaha plays OK but I guess I've played the Selmers for too long. For recording I've never used any thing but a Mark Vl. I guess if I couldn't play a Mark Vl I'd play some kind of Yamaha. The Mauriat horns are really beautiful to look at and so are the Steve Goodson horns. If I'm in a music store, and I have my mouthpiece with me, I'd love to try them out.......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

4. by marksc
          (5 posts)

16 years ago

The Moniques are carbon copies of the Selmer. Thats why in that direction.

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

I'll check out a Monique. I'll have brass and reed send me a couple of saxes. Thanks.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

6. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

Changed my mind. After looking I find that Moniques are sold mainly on e-bay. Nothing wrong with that, but having no dealers suggest that they may not be too hot!......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

7. by marksc
          (5 posts)

16 years ago

Check out Dominic's music in Boston...he has a website and a phone number. He will talk with you about what you are looking for as well.

Reply To Post