What is a good Otto Link or Me

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by carltonjazz
    (25 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Classical Mouthpieces

yeah for classical though some people may say differently a classical player will tell you to stay away from meyers and links. Selmers are the most widely used.

Reply To Post

2. by Flasax
    (1 post)

16 years ago

Ok need some help, looking for a good dark hard rubber MP for my Alto (King Super 20) and a Keesler Soprano. Playing Meyer 5M on alto (bright brassy) and a Lakey .65 on Sop, (hard to get low registers). Play in church orchestra and must mix with Clarinets. No Jazz here - smooth and Dark. Comments of you were me. FlaSax

Reply To Post

1. by mbrock
      (12 posts)

16 years ago

If you're looking for darkness, Selmer is the way to go. Try either the S80 C*, S90 C*, or the Soloist. Also make sure jazz reeds are not being used.

Reply To Post

3. by GregLauer
    (37 posts)

16 years ago

Although Otto Link and Meyer mouthpieces can be good dark souding saxophone pieces, they are desigend for jazz playing. Good different classical mouthpieces to try are the Selmer mouthpieces ( C*, Soloist, and the Lary Teal) the Vandoren Optimum mouthpieces, as well as the Ronald Caravan Large Chaimber (but those are a little harder to find) Personaly i like the caravan the best. Dark and free blowing!

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
      (343 posts)

16 years ago

the Raschers are nice, too.

Reply To Post

2. by danman9113
      (19 posts)

16 years ago

I've tried the optimum and personally I didnt care for it. Where can I get the Larry Teal and the caravan?

Reply To Post

1. by GregLauer
        (37 posts)

16 years ago

Try woodwind and brass wind, most music stores can order them, the rasher mouthpieces are good if you know how to play them. Plus they need to be refinished!!!! if you buy one from a dealer it will not play very well trust me! A finished rascher is a great piece, similar to a larry teal dark and complex As for the caravan i bought mine from a store in flagstaff arizona!!! you will just have to ask shops around or try ebay or something

Reply To Post

1. by danman9113
          (19 posts)

16 years ago

what models of the raschers do most people and do you prefer?

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

16 years ago

They're aren't different models. Raschers come in a one-size-fits-all format. You can basically divide them up into two categories, finished and crap. Anyone with a private shop (you know, the repair wizard who sells all the cool stuff) will have it finished and, if you have good technique, it will be an awesome classical mouthpiece. Just dont buy it strait from the dealer, unless you know how to do mouthpiece work (I finished my own, and it plays beautifully, but I know what Im doing. If you have any doubts, dont try to do it yourself).

Reply To Post

3. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

16 years ago

Also, just as a side note, you are aware of the significance of the name Rascher to classical saxophone, right?

Reply To Post

4. by Repetti17
          (12 posts)

16 years ago

You might want to check out the Rousseau mpc's also. They have the traditional classic mpc and a new classic mpc.

Reply To Post