OK, I need some advice here.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

16 years ago

Re: New Alto Saxaphone

If selling your present purchase and upgrading/ trading to another isn't going to be an issue down the road, then by all means go ahead and buy a suitable, new horn. HOWEVER, be aware that once you have spent more time paying your dues chop wise, you will likely have a much better idea of what you want and expect out of a horn. It would be a happy coincidence if your relative neophyte choice worked out to be the same horn, but not likely. If you decide to get a solid horn until you can eventually find "the one", make sure you bring your teacher or another experience player along when selecting and purchasing the instrument. They will have a much clearer idea of what to look for and potential problems. MANY companies are outsourcing some or all elements of their horn production to Taiwan/China, including (at the very least) Yamaha's student line of horns. Best of luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Desperado
      (7 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for that saxismyaxe, My instructor is REALLY busy, i guess one of the reasons he said stay with Yamaha's student line instead of coming out to a shop with me... do your lasy coments mean that the Yamaha Pro's are still made in Japan. And is there really THAT much difference between one made in Japan and one made in Taiwan? I certainly do get your point about in a year or so i may know the differnces and know what i am looking for in a horn... and that may be the right time for me to purchase a horn... i dont know what the go is with second hand horns here in Perth Australia (with regards to selling a cheaper horn I may purchase). Thanks again

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

16 years ago

Hi Desperado, I believe that all of the pro lines of Yamaha are still assembled in Japan, although I think that individual parts of said horns may be sub contracted out to other factories in Asia at this point. Although some Yamaha enthusiasts claim to recognize differences in the non Japanese Yamaha horns vs. those same models formally made in Japan proper, they are still regarded as some of the best, new production student horns available. Provided you select a good one (quality, even among the otherwise tight quality control of Yamaha, varied from one horn to another), you should have a good horn to develop your chops on. Of course, depending on finances, you should always go for the best horn you can afford. If you have the dosh to buy a pro level horn, and have a clue what model would suit you best, go for it.

Reply To Post