hello im looking to buy a mic

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmannwmsu
    (48 posts)

16 years ago

Re: sax mic

Scroll down a bit and look at the topic about stage mics.....

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Tsax man
    (14 posts)

16 years ago

do you mean a clip on mic or a mic with a stand?

Reply To Post

3. by basiliko
    (21 posts)

16 years ago

I have used a few audio technica wireless systems & also some hard wired audio technicas. They have been durable & for the price they are well worth the money, compared to the shure wireless systems. Also the Audio technicas sound so much better than the shures. Shures are overrated!

Reply To Post

1. by slab
      (2 posts)

16 years ago

how does the audio technica compare to senhizer clip on wireless or any other recomendations?

Reply To Post

1. by slab
        (2 posts)

16 years ago

Im also wondering how the audix mics compare to audio technica or senhizer,shure wireless only

Reply To Post

2. by joeConnMan
        (8 posts)

16 years ago

Sennheiser Wireless is great. Metal Houseing on transmitter and steel reciever are versatile and durable. use both xlr out to the board and 1/4 inch out to your amp for monitor. ( use a tube amp with reverb for monitor,you'll love it) Shopzilla around for best price-you won't pay list on line. Sound is great,never scratch your bell and you can quickly swap horns. Cord is really between mic and bell and I usually end up stuffing the excess in to my pockect to avoid snagging it while walking the bar/checking sound out front ....whatever. These last and can take the ocassional bump or drop ( it's gonna happen once in a while) Used Shures in the Early 90's and they didn't hold up to regular giging.

Reply To Post

3. by joeConnMan
        (8 posts)

16 years ago

Sennheiser Wireless is great. Metal Houseing on transmitter and steel reciever are versatile and durable. use both xlr out to the board and 1/4 inch out to your amp for monitor. ( use a tube amp with reverb for monitor,you'll love it) Shopzilla around for best price-you won't pay list on line. Sound is great,never scratch your bell and you can quickly swap horns. Cord is really between mic and bell and I usually end up stuffing the excess in to my pockect to avoid snagging it while walking the bar/checking sound out front ....whatever. These last and can take the ocassional bump or drop ( it's gonna happen once in a while) Used Shures in the Early 90's and they didn't hold up to regular giging.

Reply To Post

1. by Lotus54
          (32 posts)

16 years ago

I've searched for saxophone mics for over 25 years. I hate the sure SM57, I think they sound terrible. Too thin. So far, the best thing I've found that is resonable in price is the Pacific Pro Audio LD1. I really like it if I use both it and an LDTube. BUT, it depends on the sort of sound you have, and what you are looking for. I want a big, fairly dark sound (think Yusef Lateef, Dexter Gordon with a bit of David Murray thrown in). My non-mic-ed sound is getting closer, but many mics loose all the bottom and mid-bottom. I had to boost them around 150-250hz to bring it to what I hear. I don't like clip on mics, since I like to be able to move away from the mic. BUT!! when playing live I almost never use a mic. I play pretty loudly and unless I was with a loud rock band or something have not needed for smaller clubs. I'm using a custom Guardala MP, around a 10 or so. Just my two bits. Mark

Reply To Post

2. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

just use a B7. you won't need a mic . . . lol

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

I really like the '57's...never had a problem.

Reply To Post

4. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

%&'2 work well but you need to be within 8 - 12 inches of the bell for the right sound on a saxophone. At that distance a 57 gives a full rich reproduction of your sound. I use AMT Elite wireless system. I love the sound and the mobility it gives me and ease of switching horns makes it easy to love. The only downside is you cannot use the distance to the mic to control volume or sound shape. I attach the mic almost at the front of the bell and I point the clip on right at my LH pinky cluster. In fact, that is where I point all my sax mics whether clip on or not. I think mic placement can be as important as the mic you choose in getting the sound you want.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Over the years I have tried several mics. I could never get the same quality and response from a wireless mic that I do with a regular corded mic, but wireless mics do have their advantages. The best wireless mic I have used is the Sennheiser, and I haven't seen anything else that really even comes close, but they are a little pricey. I used to use Shure SM-58's and SM-57's for horns and vocals. They're great mics! Pretty hard to beat for the money. I bought a Beta 58 mic for vocals, and liked it so much that I bought another for my sax. I prefer the Beta 58 for sax. This is what I use most of the time. Occasionally, I will use a Sennheiser wireless. The Sm-57's and Beta 57's are more directional and more sensitive to movement than the 58 ball mics. I bought a Beta 57 which I used to mic guitar amps, Leslie speakers, etc.

Reply To Post Yahoo!