I am not a sax player, but am

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Sax recommendations??

Look under the 'high school saxophone' forum, and find the post 'Jim's List of Approved Saxophones'.

Reply To Post

1. by kfnewyork
      (3 posts)

16 years ago

what about Martin's? I found a 1951 one priced at $800....is that too cheap?

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

16 years ago

Martins are very good saxophones, but at that price, i wonder about the condition. Where did you find this horn?

Reply To Post

2. by kfnewyork
        (3 posts)

16 years ago

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Looks like a really nice tenor. It's in beautiful shape. Hope you were the winning bidder

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

16 years ago

Looks OK, but you should always be wary of Ebay.

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

martins are good horns, largely overlooked, this paticular model is considered one of the better they made

Reply To Post

3. by kemp56
        (1 post)

16 years ago

help needed here too. have looked at the approved list which is very helpful and helped me rule out alot of saxes i had looked at. My son has been playing tenor sax for about 5 years and wants a soprano sax for xmas. the very best or pro level saxes are just out of my price range right now. I've narrowed it down pricewise and reviews here to models from Kessler custom, antiqua winds, LA sax (and maybe em winston but havent found that many reviews on those). any input on which will be the easiest transition (from tenor to soprano) and which of those three would have the best tone.

Reply To Post

1. by jimmyjazzj
          (1 post)

16 years ago

I can't say that I know too much about the Kessler or Antigua brands, but I would recommend LA Sax or the Winstons out of the brands you mentioned. I know that price is obviously important, but it really isn't worth it to buy a soprano for less than $1000. Overall, sopranos are a tricky business since the physics of the instrument and the air movement make them naturally out of tune across the majority of the range. Even with top of the line Selmers or Yamahas this is a problem, and it only gets worse as the price of the horn gets lower. I was actually in the same position as your son is about 5 years ago when I got my soprano. I ended up holding out for a while until I could pay part of the bill and my parents were willing to come up with the rest. I ended up getting a special run of the Yamaha 475 from not long before they remade the 475's and the price went up. It has been a good horn for me so far; I play in two different jazz bands at the University of Iowa, and the only thing I've done different with it is buy a new mouthpiece to get better projection. So, I would recommend that you maybe do the same and hold out until you can afford a better horn. It might also be the time to blow the secret on the Christmas present and talk with your son about it. If he really cares about having a good horn, he'll be willing to hold out for a better one.

Reply To Post