What is the difference between

i play on a c* alto and sopran

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

16 years ago

Re: What is the difference between a otto link 6* ,5*,5,6 ,7? What do the numbers signify? i plan on

Difference would be the size of the tip opening...more open requires more control and a softer reed...more close requires a harder reed. If you play alto and soprano may I suggest a Meyer 5 or Vandoren Java A45 for alto and a Super Session on Soprano with softer reeds...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sslavoix
      (32 posts)

16 years ago

Re: What is the difference between a otto link 6* ,5*,5,6 ,7? What do the numbers signify? i plan on

the thing is i dont like the way the java sounds i like the edgy otto link but i will listen to it let me guess you play on a meyer or a java lol

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

16 years ago

That's cool. Everyone has different opinions, the reed thing is also an opinion along with mouthpieces but its great to have something good to start on, like the Java in my opinion and also the Otto Link jim recommended is great too. And I use an RPC, the java use to be my main piece. Whatever makes my job easier is just what I use...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

16 years ago

This might help explain things a little easier. www.saxophone.org/facings.html The larger the number, the larger the tip opening size, as you can see on this chart. Selmer uses letters instead of numbers, For Alto, a C* has an opening of .065, and a C** has an opening of .070.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sslavoix
          (32 posts)

16 years ago

thanks this will definitely help lol and one more thing i did not know what was so important about the openings until 5 minutes ago and that they are listed differently for each brand anything else i should know im a high school student and i love jazz but this will be my first year in high school jazz band now in middle school i played bari. in jazz band and i still do in our highest ensemble i hate it and love it lol but i love to play alto and soprano but i will play some soprano in jazz band i will mostly play alto in jazz band so any other advice that i should take into consideration oh one more this i have a rovner hard rubber ligature

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

16 years ago

I'd recommend an Otto Link Tone Edge. That's what I use. I'd go with at least a 5*, which is .070. With an alto, you're going to want a tip opening of between .070 and .090. If you're used to a C*, I'd go with a 6 or 6* in a tone edge, and try a #2-2.5 reed and I think you'll be just fine.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by sslavoix
          (32 posts)

16 years ago

thanks so much you have been a big help i mean really big help i wanted an otto link so bad because i love the sound is hemke a good reed i play on a 3 to 3 1/2 and soprano a 3 1/2 and 4 with ease so yeah what is a good mouthpiece for soprano i have a la voix series and i love it

4. by sslavoix
          (32 posts)

16 years ago

oh and p.s. i have been playing on a c* since 6th grade lol

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

16 years ago

I use a Meyer 5M for soprano. It's not quite as edgy as the Otto Link, but still has a nice, full sound. Helmke is the one brand of reed that I have never tried. I use mostly LaVoz reeds; medium or medium soft. Rico Jazz Select reeds are pretty good. I don't care for Vandoren V16's. ZZ's are ok. I like Alexanders too when I can find them.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by sslavoix
          (32 posts)

16 years ago

thank you whemn i go to the music store tommorrow i am getting those reeds like the la voz because you are a lot more experienced than me and you like some very good reeds because i hate or dis like v 16's they are weird but thank you any thing else ......