I deeply love the sound this m

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

2 years ago

Re: Pharoah Sanders

RIP. Music is just better because he exsisted.

Reply To Post

2. by Seano
    (132 posts)

16 years ago

The first and most important thing is long notes. Practice your long notes at least 15 minutes every day, including overtones. One thing I like to do when trying to incorporate someone else's sound is put a recording of Pharoah (for example), find a spot where he plays a long note then try match that note on your horn. It's something that yields really rewarding results when you persist at it. Good Luck. Sean

Reply To Post

1. by Seano
      (132 posts)

16 years ago

By the way I'm pretty sure Pharoah uses a Selmer metal mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

1. by Joe Bananas
        (71 posts)

16 years ago

I've got a Selmer Metal Jazz Mouthpiece in E, but i suspect that Conn Saxes and Selmer Mouthpieces are not a good combination, when i have tried to use this combination the sound was poor and thin.Could be becouse i need to practice with this mouthpiece or definetively this mix don't works?. Thanks, Seano.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

16 years ago

Pharoah Sanders is not my favorite sax player. If you figure out what he does to get that sound post it so I'll know what not to do. I know Trane liked the way he played and that always seemed strange to me. Listen to Micheal Brecker if you need a hero.....Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Joe Bananas
        (71 posts)

16 years ago

What a pity, is not a hero what i'm lookin' for.I don't believe in heros, i don't need them.I love sounds, and i can be amazed about the person that produces it but...you can be the better player out there but, sorry, you'll never be a hero for me.I don't like Michael Brecker and i think is not a matter of questionate who is the better, for me is a matter of taste, and each person have one very different to the rest. Best regards, Kelsey.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

Sorry, it does take all kinds. My favorite singer is Leon Russel. Go figure.....Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Seano
            (132 posts)

16 years ago

First - Joe Banana, I play a selmer mouthpiece on alto and I'm very happy with the sound. Just be confident and play your long tones. Kelsey - No disrespect, yet Joe asked for help for sounding like his favorite player, not who sounds better. Joe might not like Brecker. I know a few people who like Pharoah but don't dig Brecker.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

how does it seem strange that trane liked the way he played? hes only one of the best players ever. personally, ill take trane over brecker anyday. of course, im not really into that super bright tenor-sounding-like-alto crap

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

16 years ago

I don't care who you like. We all have different taste. To me Pharoah Sanders dosen't sound good. That's why I jokingly asked you that if you find out how he makes that sound please let me know so I won't do it. I think it strange that Trane liked him and recorded with him. But Trane was a great inovator and was always trying something new. Having arguments with amature players is not my thing. I won't answer anymore of your nonsense.......Kelsey
            Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

4. by Seano
            (132 posts)

16 years ago

To kelsey and cuber - I sincerely THANK you for reminding me why I stopped posting on this forum in the first place. I think I will go to another forum where civil discussions (not pointless comparisons) can take place. Thankyou, Sean.

Reply To Post

5. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

oh, i thought you ment it was strange that trane liked the way trane played, not pharoh sanders (yes, i know its misspelled)

Reply To Post