I was thinking of getting a ne

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxDude619
    (11 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Kohlert

Also does anyone have experience with a Conn-Selmer Prelude?

Reply To Post

2. by SaxDude619
    (11 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Kohlert

So I decided to take the gamble on this sax. I just got it recently and played it with an Otto Link 7 Rubber Mouthpiece and a Vandoren 2 1/2 reed. Overall it has a rich tone. Very dark and mellow, just how I like it. This horn seems to be a copy of an intermediate Selmer. It has a high F# key, leather pads, and metal resonators. The case that came with it is made of wood and leather, though it is heavy it is very sturdy. Perfect for jazz. I recently played at a family New Years party. I got compliments on the great sound of the horn from people I didn't even know. My only real complaint is the case. It feels as if the case wasn't really made for this sax. My only comparison is like trying to fit a Yamaha in a Selmer case. It will fit but you need to make some adjustments for the keys. The compartment for the neck isn't very good either. The neck is held in a compartment that is too large and it doesn't have anything to cover the neck except for a thin sheet of....."fur" or what ever is used to line the case. So in the event of a drop the neck may be damaged. With tune ups ever 5 or so years I could probably see this horn lasting awhile.

Reply To Post

1. by ianhart
      (5 posts)

16 years ago

Tune-ups

You will want to have a tune up much more often than once every five years, assuming that you practice daily, and ESPECIALLY if you are in a marching band. While in high school (I just finished my first semester of college, so this is recent news), I got my sax tuned up after every big parade (we didn't do field shows, and maybe one parade a month or so). I realize that this is excessive, but normally a long bus ride will work "wonders" with your instrument. After sitting in the compartments in a hot day, some of my keys would go out of adjustment because of the constant jolting combined with the heat semi-melting the shellac holding the pads in place. My repair tech recommends, at least, a biannual tune up (every two years), with less time in between the tune ups if you play more than the average high school saxophonist.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Tune-ups

i had problems with long bus rides, then i got key clamps and it all went away. they actually do work

Reply To Post