so, just out of curiosity, wha

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

16 years ago

Re: leveling tone holes

i am by far not an expert but just to think about it sounds impossible. i have read how they do regular ones with the round grinder or file stones of sort but with the rolled holes it would seem you would ruin the rolled part by donig so? is it a vintage or new. are you sure the cups are not the problem? they can be bent very easily.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

16 years ago

not the cups..the tone holes are easily checked by removing the keys and dropping a light down the horn..place a level plate over the tone hole, and there you go..i've had some success by raising the edge of the tone holes from the inside of the tube, via dent balls on a dent rod..just curious as to some of the methods the other fellows might use

Reply To Post

1. by Slausonm
        (51 posts)

16 years ago

"leveling" tone holes is a good thing if done correctly. I'm Not talking about taking a grinder/file/abrasive disc... to the tone hole. In any metal instrument, flute, sax... with tone holes you must accurately take out dents to make sure the tone holes are "level" Files or other tone hole tools should only be used to take out minor surface imperfections that removing dents won't fix. Shimming pads is often preferable to removing material from a rolled tone hole.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

I must agree, filing the rolled tone holes is a bad idea at best. I find shimming pads to be a bit of a pain, but I'll do it if it seems the most effective solution. I guess there's no easy magic fix. Oh well, back to the bench.

Reply To Post

2. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

I've found that the best tool for making small adjustments to rolled holes is an impact driver sold by Ferree's. Once you get the feel of using it, you can easily raise specific portions of the chimney. it does take a bit of practice but gets good results.

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

thank you for the very astute suggestion..I'm presuming that this is tool# N85?

Reply To Post

4. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

I'm not sure as my Ferree catalog is not handy right now. I will look it up and let you know. It's the same "impact" mechanism as the post puller if that helps any. It's far and away the best method I've tried for getting low spots out of rolled holes.

Reply To Post

5. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

it is, and that does....thanks, Steve.

Reply To Post

6. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

I have found the post puller to be most effective with the top of the post pointing down in order to let gravity aid in the hammering effect. Is the tone hole leveling tool also best used in this fashion?

Reply To Post

7. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

No. The horn should be upright so that the top of the hole can be easily and quickly checked after each blow. I use a variety of impact type tools in addition to the one from Ferree in order to select the most appropriate shape and force level for the work at hand. It is essential to go slowly and check progress regularly in order to do a good job.

Reply To Post

8. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

Votaw makes an excellent tool for this type of repair....one needs to be able to see the area of work..not alot of torque..but it works pretty good with some practice

Reply To Post

9. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

I have never seen a bad tool from Carl Votaw!

Reply To Post

10. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

Right you are..Votaw rocks.

Reply To Post

11. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for that response Steve. You do have a lot of information to share. Just another question if I might. Since you are trying so hard to come across as a professional in this forum, why not do the same at your own forum Sax Nation and remove all the vindictive and vulgar remarks you have made about me and others who have disagreed with you in other forums? John

Reply To Post

12. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

If you don't like my forum, please feel free to start your own and run it as you see fit. When I need your advice on administering my forum, I will certainly ask for it. You will note that I have not asked for your advice or opinion.

Reply To Post

13. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

Steve, when are you going to send me information on where to try out your saxophones? I live in Florida. Is there a dealer nearby........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

14. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

Where are you in Florida?

Reply To Post

15. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

Jacksonville Florida........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

16. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

I'm sorry you feel that way Steve. You know, rather than start my own forum, I think I will just continue to take every opportunity on this forum and others to expose what a two faced vindictive person you really are underneath that pseudo professional image you use when you are trying to impress people or sell them something. Remember if you keep doing what you're doing, you are going to keep getting what you're getting. John

Reply To Post

17. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

I don't want you to think for a minute, John, that you continuing to troll me here and elsewhere on the net is causing me any problems. I sincerely appreciate you publicizing my forum and my products, particularly my videos. Please keep it up. Our traffic at www.saxnation.com/forum has never been higher, and our sales for all our products are pretty much at the full extent of our production capacity. I've got more speaking engagements and appearances booked for this year than I did in the last THREE years combined. Things are good. I don't wish to imply in any way that you deserve any substantial credit for my success, John. I just want to make the point that your trolling is having no effect that I can see, and you are more than welcome to keep it up. I'm laughing all the way to the bank. I do this for a living, and life is good. I've been successful because people like my products and respect my knowlege and experience in this industry. Don't flatter yourself by believing you are a significant part of my life.

Reply To Post

18. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Re: being on the level

Yawn.... People who are really the best at what they do don't need to boast since they let their products and reputation speak for them ie. marketers and designers of Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagasawa, Cannonball, etc. You are deceiving yourself if you think that your ever growing negative public image on the internet is not hurting your business. You are in fact your own worst enemy. I actually feel sorry for you that you can't see that and keep defending your right to post vulgar and derogatory statements about people who simply disagreed with something you said on another forum.

Reply To Post

19. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

Re: being on the level

sigh......

Reply To Post

20. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

16 years ago

I'm sorry you feel that way Steve. You know, rather than start my own forum, I think I will just continue to take every opportunity on this forum and others to expose what a two faced vindictive person you really are underneath that pseudo professional image you use when you are trying to impress people or sell them something. Remember if you keep doing what you're doing, you are going to keep getting what you're getting. John This is the second forum that I've seen you going out of your way to take shots at Goodson on. How is that not "Vindictive"?

Reply To Post

21. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

The answer is really quite simple: I'm John's one and only "claim to fame". Without me, nobody would ever have heard of him. It's strictly an ego thing insofar as I can tell. His solid record of lack of accomplishment and recognition in the industry speaks for itself.

Reply To Post

22. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

I've learned a lot from Steve..and John..

Reply To Post

23. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

16 years ago

But why do you continue to feed his ego? He'll get a lot less attention if you don't respond to his every post (and especially if you don't respond with goading remarks about his 'solid record of lack of accomplishment and recognition in the industry'). Can't we all just grow up? Every parent knows that tantrums end faster if you don't make a fuss about them...

Reply To Post

24. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

I guess I've always been one who was inclined to hit back when struck first. In all honesty, I do find him irritating. Of course, he's good for business, as he keeps my websites out there in the public eye. He also calls attention to my accomplishments, which I sincerely appreciate. John is a source of great amusement to us at our company. Staff meetings are often interrupted with schemes about how we can encourage him. You can't buy this sort of exposure at any price.

Reply To Post

25. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

Steve, I think John is not good for your business. I ask you earlier where I could find a dealer so I could try one of your horns, instead of telling me you get off on this argument with this John caracter. You guys need to get a room.......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

26. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

Kelsey: I don't have a dealer in Jacksonville, but several of the major internet dealers sell our horns, including Saxquest, Pro Winds, World Wide Sax, Weiner Music, and Woodwind/Brasswind., and others

Reply To Post

27. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks! I'll give brasswind/woodwind a try. They send horns out for trial with a credit card. Just kidding about getting a room......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

28. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

I'll also be happy to send one on approval with a credit card through my www.nationofmusic.com store.

Reply To Post

29. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks but I want to also try a reference 54 and a Yamaha Z and compare all 3 horns. Brasswind/Woodwind has furnished mouthpieces for me to try in the past and I have been well satisfied....Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

30. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Quote: johnsonfromwisconsin This is the second forum that I've seen you going out of your way to take shots at Goodson on. How is that not vindictive? That's a fair question Johnson. Please compare everything you have read that I have written to what is contained in the thread at this link: www.saxnation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431 Be sure to read all three pages of it and remember that several of the participants are Goodson himself posting under other identities. Remember too that this man is the public figure who represents Orpheus Music of San Antonio Texas. Most of my "shots" as you call them are to expose this man for what he really is.

Reply To Post

31. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

16 years ago

i must be missing something in that thread cause the only thing i see is Steve being backed up by friends. why would you point us to something that makes you look even worse than you do here????

Reply To Post

32. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

I sorta was wondering the same thing.......on alt.music.saxophone John has alledged that a member of my forum has a sexually transmitted disease.....on the Delphi repair forum he stated I was a child molester (and got banned fro life for it, thank you very much).......there's no limit to his madness. I come here to discuss saxophones, John does not.

Reply To Post

33. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Friends both REAL and IMAGINARY---don't forget. Actually I have to keep referring back to that site to see if my p**** has grown any since the last time Steve and his friends checked it. LOL John

Reply To Post