A couple of days ago a friend

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by BisonBlues
    (3 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Joe Bananas

Those two pieces sound exactly the same?! The pieces are about as far apart as you can get in the mouthpiece world. the S80 C* is designed for a "French" classical sound, having a closed tip and large square chamber, while the Jumbo Java is the edgiest jazz mouthpiece Vandoren offers, featuring a high baffle and a small chamber to deliver a rock or fusion sound. Maybe you should check the mouthpieces again to see if they are indeed the S80 C* and the Jumbo Java. If they are, I'm baffled (every pun intended) that the pieces play the same.

Reply To Post

1. by Joe Bananas
      (71 posts)

16 years ago

Yes friend BisonBlues, i'm pretty sure they are the mouthpieces i told, they are completely new and come in the original box.I realize that the problem is on my ears.I don't have the needed "trained ear" to apreciate the diference, even if is not a slightly one... Anyway you put much more light in my way to look for the mouthpiece i preffer.I'm looking for a "jazzy" one. Thanks Bison!!!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

16 years ago

I really don't think either one of them would be a particularly good choice for a Conn Transitional horn. I've used a Selmer S-80 on both my New Wonder Series II alto and my 6M and intonation was terrible. The closed tip, square chambered mouthpiece just didn't match up very well with either horn. I've never tried a Jumbo Java. I've always been a little skeptical of Vandoren mouthpieces. My concern with the Java mouthpiece is that the high baffle and small chamber, may also cause some intonation and pitch problems for your horn. It's probably a better choice than the S-80, but vintage Conn horns need a large-chambered mouthpiece with a facing of about .070 on up. The Otto Link Tone Edge works well on vintage Conn saxophones. I've heard several others recommend Morgan mouthpieces. I've been trying to get my hands on one! I would check the intonation with the Vandoren mouthpiece. Use an electronic tuner and play a full scale from hi C all the way down to low Bb. Note the differences in pitch. Some fluctuation is normal, especially on a vintage horn. No horn will have PERFECT intonation. Quite often, many notes will play sharp if the chamber is too small, and low notes (C and below) will be difficult to play, or may bellow. Hopefully the Vandoren will work out for you. If not, I would suggest possibly listing it for sale or trade here on Saxquest, and try to get either a Morgan, Otto Link Tone Edge, or a Meyer "G" series mouthpiece. Good Luck, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Joe Bananas
          (71 posts)

16 years ago

Very Helpful Jim, thanks!.

Reply To Post

2. by BisonBlues
        (3 posts)

16 years ago

I used to play on a Jumbo Java mouthpiece, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The middle register is fat and edgy, but the high register is lacking middle overtones, which causes a thin, reedy sounding tone. The piece also plays very sharp in the low register, altissimo is near impossible, and blending is out of the question. In my opinion, the Meyer G series is a decent piece, but the response is kind of sluggish due to very thick rails, and everyone i know who plays on one says they are severely sharp, but they all used modern horns. I don't have much experience with Conn saxophones, so the G series might be a good match. Best Regards, Bison

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

16 years ago

+1 on most of the Jumbo Java comments. I would use the word "harsh"...

Reply To Post