I was wondering if anyone can

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Brilhart Tonalin

I,ve come across a few of these pieces over the years...the #2 and #3 has to do with tip openings..the #3 being more open..I don't have the specs handy..I believe they're considered to be somewhat of a student piece, tho' I could be wrong..Maceo Parker uses a tonalin..I tried one, and I did not manage to sound like Maceo..I sounded like me playing a tonalin..shucks!

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
      (279 posts)

16 years ago

Some of the prices good ones have been fetching on eBay recently leads me to believe pros are playing them too. it probably has a little to do with the fact that Bird played one, which is cool cos that's why I want to try one.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

I did read somewhere Bird played a #3.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

I stand corrected..I was thinking of the more recent Brilharts I forget what they're called..I think the old tonalins were considered pro..I once saw a photo of a young Stan Getz with a tonalin on his tenor

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

You're right about the more recent Brilharts. all I know is the later ones lack the individual serial number and don't have a very good reputation.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

16 years ago

Original Tonalins have very short facings to them, so they have a rather different feel compared to most other mouthpieces. The material is also extremely brittle and damages easily. Beware.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

Old bergs can be brittle too. I had one that broke into a thousand pieces when I threw it at the piano. :-(

Reply To Post