If Classical Saxophone is "Leg

Just trying to stir things up.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: If Classical Saxophone is "Legitimate" what does that make Jazz and Rock Saxophone?

why, illegimate, of course! they are the bastard children of reall music! jk

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

Re: If Classical Saxophone is "Legitimate" what does that make Jazz and Rock Saxophone?

Stupid question: If jazz and Rock are the bastard children of real music, whats the other parent?

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

16 years ago

who knows? he ran away! (assuming real music is female)

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

16 years ago

I'm curious as to how the term "legit" got applied and who came up with the term. Did a snooty classical style player coin the term or a jazz player with a self-esteem problem?

Reply To Post

1. by azurealto
        (79 posts)

16 years ago

probably a snooty classical player. (they're annoying sometimes)

Reply To Post

3. by janderson
      (2 posts)

16 years ago

Wow, that's a strange term in the first place. It seems to imply that a player either knows how to play or not. No matter what your repertoire or taste, you have to know what you are doing on the instrument.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
        (148 posts)

16 years ago

i looked up legitimate on dictionary.com and found the typical definitions meaning "legal", "licit", "valid", etc., but i took the connotation meaning "real". so does that mean that classical is real and that jazz, blues, rock, and other styles are not? if so, then how do we hear it? do we only imagine it? does the audience imagine it as well?

Reply To Post

1. by flowertj
          (6 posts)

14 years ago

The term "Legit Saxophone" was in fact coined by the jazz saxophonists. I my self am studying classical saxophone, and have been for almost 8 years, and I have never once referred to myself or other classical saxophonists as a "Legit Saxophonist". I chose to study classical saxophone seriously, but in now way does that mean that I don't love jazz. I just didn't choose to pursue it as a profession. As a matter of fact, I just got finished listening to Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" about an hour ago. That's about as legitimate as it gets when it comes to jazz saxophone, and I can guarantee the majority of the jazz folks here criticizing the classical players have never listened to that album.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

14 years ago

everybody has listened to a love supreme. literally, everybody. and seriously, its just a bit of good-natured joking. no reason to make a thread on EVERY sub-forum about it. a majority of sax players do play both- they just prefer one over another.

Reply To Post

2. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

what i really mean (in a less wordy manner) is that if rock, jazz, and blues are not legit, then are they only percieved in the mind?

Reply To Post

1. by Bibimbop
            (53 posts)

16 years ago

"legit" is a very discriminatory term, and doesn't accurately describe the music. The term used more often now is "concert saxophone/saxophonist"

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
            (397 posts)

16 years ago

i sit next to people reading music in two different bands who read much better than me, but, none of them can play by ear or improvise, now , who do you think is better????? they think what i do playing by ear and doing solos as something they would like to be able to do and i wish i could site read as well as them, better more " legit". i think legit can apply to any kind of music, not just classical

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

i think this is one of those "whatever floats your boat" issues. one isnt nessissarily better than the other, they are just different. yes, i know that wasnt the original question

Reply To Post

4. by chalazon
            (547 posts)

16 years ago

I have a friend who refers to classical music as ';dead people music ';..whatever..

Reply To Post

5. by azurealto
            (79 posts)

16 years ago

i do too.

Reply To Post

6. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

15 years ago

The term legitimate is a misnomer ,,it has more to do with the music one plays ,,,the music dictates the method of playing,,,,so ligit refers to the imposition of the ,music ,,,so called classical music requires a ligit type of playing ,,,,,,the french have a different term ( much better I believe ) they refer to it as """la music "Savante""""" ( meaning music that is savy or that wants to impart ideas)

Reply To Post

7. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

15 years ago

he term legitimate is a misnomer ,,it has more to do with the music one plays ,,,the music dictates the method of playing,,,,so ligit refers to the imposition of the ,music ,,,so called classical music requires a ligit type of playing ,,,,,,the french have a different term ( much better I believe ) they refer to it as ---;la music "Savante----- ( meaning music that is savy or that wants to impart ideas) therefore this music is the composer's expression ,,,and needs to be void of any musician's manipulation ,,,therefore==legit==since it is authentic and respectful of the composer's wishes

Reply To Post