Saxophone Forum

by saxophonist_104
(148 posts)
16 years ago

What's your sax's name?

call me crazy, but my nickel-plated sax has a name. Has anyone else named their sax?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by toocold4
    (6 posts)

16 years ago

Re: What's your sax's name?

never really named her (my very first Evette & SchafferTenor that was handed down to me many moons ago), but I've thought about it in the past and considered Lady as a good choice. Usually just refer to her as My Baby, but my wife gets a little jealous sometimes and I finally picked up an Alto a few years ago, so I just call them my Alto and my Tenor right now. As for the Alto, it's just a Bundy I took off a friends hands, so I never thought about naming he, I guess ALice would be fitting. ;)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by zane203
    (3 posts)

16 years ago

Well I have two altos, a marching and a class one. The marching one is Jazz, shes a powerful beast, whos a bit damage but ima fix her up nice My class is Juni, hes lade back and a bit dark. Sounds weird, i know, but they just told me, once i felt them and actully connected, the names just came, and once i started calling them by names, they started sounding better... lol

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by basssaxman88
    (68 posts)

16 years ago

(bare brass) my bass sax's name is Casandra (gold lacquer) my alto's is Susie That's an interesting question saxophonist104. Or, if you don't have a name for your sax, what would you call it?

Reply To Post

4. by saxcat69
    (6 posts)

13 years ago

yeah marilyn monroe

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by Snorlaxaphone
    (3 posts)

12 years ago

I love pokemon and snorelax so i call mine a snorlaxaphone

Reply To Post

1. by Snorlaxaphone
      (3 posts)

12 years ago

Forgot to add I call my buddie's Mc slapaphone cause i slap him all ta time lol jk i dont hit him lolz

Reply To Post

6. by ProPyro
    (2 posts)

12 years ago

I'm picking up my alto this afternoon, and before now the only sax's I've played have been loaners from high school way back in the day when I first started playing music.

However I own several guitars and usually refer to them as "girl" or "ladies" if I'm refering to more than one.  So I'd walk into the room and pick up my guitar and say something like "time to make you sing, girl".  I'd imagine I'd treat my sax the same when I pick it up this afternoon.

Reply To Post

7. by Kattamaki
    (15 posts)

12 years ago

When I started playing sax at the age of four, I called it my funaphone, later simply my ax.

Reply To Post

8. by bjjazzy
    (5 posts)

12 years ago

my alto is "Sammy" saxophone  and my tenor is "Jazzy" sax or "Jasmin/Jazman" however it is spelt, their both my saxy(sexy)boys.I.m 40 and still callthem that since I was in sixth grade, and when I had a clarinet it was "Clarence" the clarinet.

Reply To Post

9. by ReedTheSax
    (1 post)

11 years ago

My sax's name is Reed Alto, a.k.a. Mrs. Alto. My best friend's sax is named Pluto.

Reply To Post

10. by Saxwitty
    (1 post)

11 years ago

My beat-up sax (class sax) that's currently in shop is named Paris because she's always been a wonder to me. I got her handed down to me from my brother.
    My marching sax that was handed down to me from my Dad is named Sampson. Sampson just seemed to be a fitting name for him. It just worked. 
    I'm currently looking into getting a new Sax and I haven't decided whether or not it's going to be a boy or girl. I'll have to play on her/him for a while and decide. 

Reply To Post

11. by Joe Bananas
    (71 posts)

16 years ago

Great Question!. I've got a Tenor Conn Transitional and his name is Capitan (In English; Captain).

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

my martin alto is called: the martin i call my yamaha alto: the yamaha i call my bari: the bari arent i creative?

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
        (148 posts)

16 years ago

really creative, cuber! i recently brought home a selmer signet clarinet; Lynn. I still have to finish sanding the cork on the tenens and check the placement of the keys (i took them off and polished them and i don't know where the keys are supposed to go! (but it's a fun challenge!))

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

...bit of an update...i have finished re-doing everything on the clarinet, i'm just trying to learn to play the darn thing...it's still fun!

Reply To Post

2. by trent125
        (2 posts)

11 years ago

after seeing this post I decided to name mine "Baby" 

Reply To Post

3. by Laura...
        (1 post)

11 years ago

I borrowed a saxophone for a while which I hated and called squeaky (for obvious reasons).
        Then when I got my new one I named it staight away- Smartie because i thought it looked really new and smart. Kind of a wierd name but I was only 8 :/  

Reply To Post

4. by AltoAnarchy
        (2 posts)

11 years ago

I named my Alto Unison Charlie. The first time I saw the brand on my alto I thought it said unicorn, so He is Charlie the Unicorn, but I aways call him Charlie :)

Original Quote:
        "call me

Reply To Post

5. by saxygurl98
        (1 post)

10 years ago

I currently have 5 saxophones. My gold alto is named Jupiter, my black alto is named Apollo, my curved soprano is named Mars, my straight soprano is named Venus, and my tenor is named Zeus.

Reply To Post

6. by pumpkinhead33333
        (1 post)

5 years ago

My bari saxs name is Bari Bee Benson

Reply To Post

7. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

5 years ago

Well Sombody has to post the most ignorant worthless posting.

Congratulations.

Mine is named Axe

Reply To Post

8. by Candyboy
        (77 posts)

5 years ago

My favorite horn is a 1922 Conn new wonder series 1 C-mel It has always been bare brass plain, no engraving save the Conn LTD logo.  I call it (Crusty)

Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

5 years ago

And isn't Crusty one of you best playing horns?

The raw brass, also known as the poor mans finish, vibrate like nothing else.

You haven't played a Conn C mel till you play a raw brass version.

Reply To Post

9. by myalto
        (3 posts)

5 years ago

i have a few alto's, but my favorite Buescher Top Hat and Cane is called Grace. She graces me with her tone and killer action everytime.

Reply To Post

10. by Gibralter
        (1 post)

5 years ago

I rented a sax from my school for a long time and named it Ricardo, but eventually had to move on the a differnt school and give that sax back (RIP Ricardo). I now have two saxs (one for marching one for concert band). The first one is a beat up one I named Eduardo and a nicer one that i recently named Fernando.

Reply To Post

11. by azurealto
        (79 posts)

16 years ago

I have a Simba AS-100 alto saxophone.

Reply To Post

1. by azurealto
          (79 posts)

16 years ago

his name is James, but i don't use it much.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
            (148 posts)

16 years ago

use what? his name? i keep a low profile on my sax's name. stupid stuck-up trumpet players.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

i came up with the name for my sax based on the way it looks. the name "Janie" had sort of a silvery connotation to me, so it seemed the perfect name for a nickel-plated sax.

Reply To Post

2. by YATSAX
              (7 posts)

16 years ago

My sax is a Yamaha which I call "yamama". I guess that it may sound a little sarcastic. Some who ask don't seem to care for it.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

16 years ago

I named a couple of my guitars. My first Fender Strat was named Sarah after my first love. My acoustic Martin 000-D-28 I named Layla after the Eric Clapton song. My old Gretsch 6120 I call Gretchen, A few years ago, I was playing with an older gentleman who played a vintage Martin sax that his mother had bought him brand new in 1949. He named the sax Margaret after his mother. I then decided to name my 1926 Conn New Wonder Series II Lois after my grandmother who was born in 1926. I named my 1948 Conn 10M naked lady Betty. There was an elderly lady named Betty whom I met in a nursing home a few years ago. Betty was known to walk out of her room often wearing very little if any clothing! Interesting question though! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by STEVE GOODSON
              (291 posts)

16 years ago

I've got lots of horns, but when I was gigging (I'm now retired) I always named my working horns after the heroes of Japanese monster movies of the 50's: Godzilla, Gamera, Rodan, Mothra, etc....I used to call my bass sax "Monster X".....the horns varied, of course, but I found that by giving them names I could train the roadies to hand me the right horn for the right tune. For some reason, "give me Mothra" was easier for them to understand than "hand me my alto"...I never liked to keep a bunch of horns on stage since they tend to get knocked over by people running around, so having a system for the crew to follow worked out pretty well.

Reply To Post

5. by chalazon
              (547 posts)

16 years ago

my tenor's name is Bob. Good to hear from you, Steve.

Reply To Post

6. by Alreed66
              (8 posts)

15 years ago

Names for my saxes: No-Name Soprano(Was suppose to arrive with a particular brand on it but didn't, but I paid $99 for it) I named it Obie because it sounds like an Oboe. My Selmer USA AS-100 Alto is named Betsy. Old Betsy just keeps trudging along no matter how long I play it and no matter how noisy the action gets at times, or how resistant she can be at times, she still keeps on going. I got her used ten years ago and she will hold me until I have enough saved for my dream alto.

Reply To Post

7. by kelsey
              (930 posts)

15 years ago

I call my horns my alto or my tenor. I make the music and they are nothing but tools. It makes a difference what you play but I sound good on about any saxophone I pick up, as long as it's in good working order. Nameing ones horn seems a little hairy high school sounding..............Kelsey
              Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

8. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

15 years ago

Agreed :)

Reply To Post

9. by Mobile Band
              (27 posts)

12 years ago

. . . when my alto plays good, I call it sometimes good girl . . .

http://swing-jazz-berlin.de

Reply To Post

10. by fossil
              (5 posts)

12 years ago

Newcomer just reading different threads.
              I have a brand new C soprano and I've named her Lena (as in Lena Horne - saxophone - horn).
              I thought it was pretty unimaginative and there'd be plenty of others using the same name. It seems not.
              cheers

Reply To Post