Saxophone Forum

by Spike
(248 posts)
20 years ago

favorite non-sax

We all love saxophones here, but as we know(whether or not we care to aknowledge it) there are other musicians out there. Who's your favorite, and why? I have to pay homage to Reid Anderson, and anyone who's heard The Bad Plus' "These are The Vistas" probably know why. His skill, imagination, and ingenuity earn him the top spot on my list. Second goes to Billy Kilson. Although most people here would dispute whether he's the king of the drum, it's hard to deny that he's fantastic. Obviously most of my exposure of him comes with the Dave Holland Quintet and Big Band, but his solo work is respectable(he mostly plays hip hop and acid funk.) Last, but not least is Andy Bey. His voice is incredible. That's all I really need to say on him.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Hudsona
    (2 posts)

20 years ago

Re: favorite non-sax

Two words... Curtis Fuller. The Solo break on Locomotion (Blue Trane 1959) is mind blowing! You shouldn't be able to play that fast on Trombone...

Reply To Post

2. by bjemike
    (7 posts)

20 years ago

i love all the old guys, but on more of a contemporary level, i really enjoy dave douglas's trumpet playing(chris potter plays sax in his quintet), and medeski, martin and wood.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

I'll answer this tommorow when I'm not tired, and drunk.=)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

Don Ellis. Trumpet. A wizard player, an incredible jazz/fusion composer (60's/70's), and, unfortunately, dead. Not too many people get away with writing music in 13/8 time and get away with it sounding good. His group has had awesome sax in it. I don't have the names off the top of my head, but an internet search would churn that up fairly quickly. Him and his orchestra ...... JAM!!! It's the kind of music that gets your neck moving. My favorite album is "Soaring" . It's not released on CD, though some of his other stuff is.

Reply To Post

1. by 5fingercurveball
        (11 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you sax_maniac for mentioning Don! My history teacher of all people recommended him. Any group that can rock out in 27/16 gets my nod for most enjoyable big band to listen to. I've got "Electric Bath" and "Live at Montery," it's too bad most of his recordings are so impossible to find. Offhand, I know Tom Scott was one of his lead altoists, btw.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I've got Don's "Soaring" on vinyl which is not (and probably never will be) available on CD. Send me an email if you are interested in obtaining a CD copy. It's WAY into the fusion/rock category. Amazing sax solos. And, of course, Don on trumpet with the occasional Echoplex... Maybe we could trade if you can manage to get me copies of yours...

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Also... while googling around, I came across someone's PhD dissertation on Don Ellis' music. 2 or 3 hundred some pages in .pdf format. Haven't read it yet, but will surely enjoy it once I get the chance.

Reply To Post

2. by BreckerBrothersaregods!
        (23 posts)

20 years ago

How come nobody has mentioned the great Miles Davis? He is way up there on my list. He was an extremely revolutionary musician. Anybody heard Bitches Brew? That album was so controversial and started fusion. Many great fusions bands wouldnt have existed if it werent for him. Not only did he start fusion, he furthered be - bop. That is all i really got to say about him. And then you gotta love every musician from the Chick Corea Elektric Band - Chick Corea, Dave Weckl, John Patitucci, etc. Then there is Herbie Hancock - ima just say his name - no need to explain. Head Hunters!!! Randy Brecker, Paul Chambers, Christian McBride, Horace Silver, Joe Zawinul, Art Blakey, Charles Mingus, Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Dave Holland, and the list goes on forever.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

I liked Live Evil better, but yeah, Miles is amazing. i also seem to have forgotten don cherry and freddy hubbard. but that's more of a list of greats. anderson, kilson and bey are my favorites.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

I would say three. Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, and J.J. Johnson. Benny Goodman's good too.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

jazz - MIles and Herbie... nuff said. everything else... well that's too much to mention. most early electro 80's is fun, deep house is fun, and a few more which I'll get to later.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

20 years ago

I tend to get a lot of ideas off of piano players. Monk, Brubeck, yes, Herbie, different times and tonalities. The keyboard can get so many different combinations of chords at once. Listen to the comping, too. You can pick up a lot of ideas off the comps.

Reply To Post

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

Sir James Galway, Floutist.

Reply To Post

6. by divesta
          (11 posts)

20 years ago

Some of my favorite non-sax players are: Keith Jarett, Fred Hersh (piano) Of course, Miles Davis, but also Clifford Brown

Reply To Post

7. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

20 years ago

Hi I have to say, Louis Armstrong, Duke, Dizzy, J.J. and Benny Goodman.

Reply To Post AIM

8. by [email protected]
          (18 posts)

20 years ago

Lennie Tristano is a favorite for his music- i love his touch and phrasing, and his philosophy.

Reply To Post

9. by spottspidermunki
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

the entire dave matthews band. allman bros. herbie hancock. crazy good stuff. Joel

Reply To Post AIM

10. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

20 years ago

Jaco, Vic Wooten, Miles, and Herbie would start that list....dunno why I'm so drawn to bassists...

Reply To Post

11. by blog234
          (14 posts)

20 years ago

Duke Ellington...and.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................can't think of anyone else thats non-sax..................................................................sorry....just like other young guys my age...im sax-obsessed...

Reply To Post

12. by SelmerParisPassion
          (59 posts)

19 years ago

Anyone ever heard the group Royal Crown revue? They're not ancient or anything, but I just freaking love their style. They did a pretty nifty version of Sing Sing Sing and Zoot Suit Riot. The Viscounts are great too- they did a version of Harlem Nocturne I adore! A really neat group is The Cherry-Poppin Daddies (distasteful name, I know, but their music is great) A lot of their songs are like a halfbreed of rock and Jazz. It's great. Had to share. Christie J

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

13. by vzkgszhz
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Stevie Wonder is great.

Reply To Post