Saxophone Forum

by Black Orpheus
(23 posts)
20 years ago

Different Tenor Sounds

Ever since I was introduced to the music of Stan Getz last year, I can't seem to get enough of him! I really admire his melodic improvisational style, however when I play I am looking for a much different sound than he produced. I'm trying to find my sound right now, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on tenor saxophonists to listen to that have contrasting sounds, so I can get a better idea of how I want to sound. I am particularly interested in saxophone players that have a warm tone and play very smooth (like Dave Koz). Any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by [email protected]
    (18 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Different Tenor Sounds

For a warm and smooth tone I would say Mark Turner. Check out "Ballad Session." He's a beautiful player. Also I can't omit Warne Marsh (who is an entity ENTIRELY unto himself). his linear genius aside, no one could play so cleanly in the altissimo before Warne. listen to "marshmallow" on Lee Konitz's "Subconscious-Lee," and Lee Konitz "Live at the Half Note"

Reply To Post

2. by cyber75sax
    (33 posts)

20 years ago

Dexter Gordon is one of my favorite tenor saxophonists. He is known for his warm, "foo-foo" sound, but the man could bebop his hindquarters off, too. Joshua Redman has a very "classic" sound for a "modern" jazz saxophone player. James Carter has a very edgy and bright sound. And Michael Brecker is about the industry standard for the modern-day saxophone sound. Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

Reply To Post

1. by mr. freakjar
      (11 posts)

20 years ago

dexter? foo-foo? i've never heard that before. woah

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Spunky2sax75
        (75 posts)

20 years ago

You could give Sonny Rollins a try, i love listening to his music.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzax
          (30 posts)

20 years ago

I can see why one would call Dexter Gordon foo foo...he has that big dark sound (Dexter Gordon Go is a good start). I personally prefer early Sonny Rollins to later Sonny Rollins (the Sound of Sonny is a good start). Don't forget Coltrane of course (Giant Steps and probably Love Supreme are a good start). Joe Henderson (perhaps Inner Urge for his early period and maybe So Near, So Far for his later period). Lester Young, Ben Webster, Gene Ammons, Johnny Griffin, Jerry Bergonzi, Joe Lovano, Dewey Redman, David Murray (great bass clarinetist too), Michael Brecker, Steve Grossman, all the recommendations above and below (I'm forecasting). There are so many players to listen to I know I'm forgetting so many. You might even check out Ornette Coleman's Ornette on Tenor for something more outside...interesting to hear him play his concept on tenor instead of alto. Just a few suggestions... Have Fun!

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

I think I might know what he's trying to say by foo-foo. Like the softer attacks on some of his songs. Sort of sub-tone type stuff. I really like Sonny Rollins, and another good tone I really like is Lenny Pickett. It's great for jazz or rock. He's got a great altissimo range; one of the best I've ever heard.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Joshua Redman.

Reply To Post

4. by mr. freakjar
          (11 posts)

20 years ago

i don't call that "foo foo". I call that drunk.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Saxman2200
        (64 posts)

20 years ago

I would suggest Joshua Redman, or Sonny Rollins. John Coltrane is the man, but I don't think that's the sound you said you where looking for. Don't limit yourself yourself to just Tenor sax though either. You can find some really nice tones on other instruments. I know I've been influenced by trumpet players alot. Check out some Miles Davis he's always good. Dizzy Gellespie and Mattew Payton are exellent as well. and you can't forget the great Sachmo (loui armstrong). hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by Black Orpheus
          (23 posts)

20 years ago

It's been a while since I've posted this, and I've been listening to Coltrane more and more. I used to only be able to handle so much of his music, but the more I listen, the more I hear the genius. Every time I listen to Giant Steps I get chills, and I love the Blue Train album. I have this one live album of Paquito D'Rivera that I enjoy a lot too (Live at the Blue Note). Even before I began the post I listened to Miles Davis all the time. I really like the Birth of the Cool sessions. I've never heard the music of Payton, I'll have to check him out. I am listening to more piano now, too. Bill Evans is awesome, and I like Kenny Barron and Vince Guaraldi, among others. I kind of wish I had played piano before any other instrument, I might have had a better grasp of chords and composition at an earlier age.

Reply To Post