Saxophone Forum

by BreckerBrothersaregods!
(23 posts)
20 years ago

Anybody out there getting really frustrated?

Anybody getting frustrated with their playing? I am. I dont know wether i am critisizing myself too hard or im getting worse, but something is wrong. I dont think i am as good this year as i was last year. Anybody ever have this experience? Help me out here. What is going on?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by spottspidermunki
    (55 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Anybody out there getting really frustrated?

i feel ur pain. I'm going through the same thing. I think i'm critizing myself 2 hard. to be quite honest, i am a Junior in HS. theres nothing wrong w/ shooting for perfection, but i find myself holding myself to that standard to the point where i get really frustrated and often times depressed over my playing. i think i might actually be getting a little bit better as time goes by, but i feel as if i'm slipping. i honestly think i was a better player last yr. all i can do tho is play more. i try to cut myself a little slack here and there, just so where i'm not wanting it to be perfect in 30 minutes. but if u never give urself any slack, u probably will get worse. all the mental stress builds up, and everything just kinda locks up. i dunno, maybe i'm strange. college is getting here in a hurry, and i feel as if i have to be at a perfectionist standard to make the cut. i'm pretty confident in my playing, and i do feel good about it at times, i just stress out over it when i feel like i have to play perfectly. i play a whole lot worse when i'm all concerned w/ my playing than when i just loosen up and play. anywayz, thank you for listening to my rambling, i feel much better now. Joel

Reply To Post AIM

1. by FISHERMAN
      (31 posts)

20 years ago

Hey guy's I have a closet full of those been there done that t-shirts. Being quite a bit older I can tell you it is the same for all of us. That is what Society in general has become for our every day life "STRESS". But both of you have the perfect relaxer in the form of a Horn. No matter what goals other's put on you, be yourselves and be happy in life and that is what matter's. The last few year's I have lost some of the most important factors in my life and I learned one thing. Being Happy with yourself no matter what anyone thinks or tells you is the key element in life. Both of you seem to be good guy's trying to be something and that is better than most young adult's from your age group. In short today look's bleak but the sun will come up in the morning and we will face a new day. Brecker get you a group so you can post us soon to be senoirs so we can know that it is alive and well. Good Luck and God Bless both of you.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

20 years ago

Hear hear, well spoken I myself go through one of those "i suck!" cycles about every 6 months, and really nothing but good has come out of it. I was able to focus my frustration into more eficient, and better practice, and overcame struggles each time. Good luck with your struggls, just remember to use your frustration posotively! If at first you don't succeed, try try TWICE AS HARD again! you'll get it! Oh, good news! I've been accepted into the UNI school of music!

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

I never really think I "suck" at any hobbies I have. But I do get bored every now and then. When I do I'll just take some time off to think about where I want to go. it's not a bad thing to put down something and give it a rest for a while. In fact (given a few straight weeks of pratice) I could be just as good as I ever was on my sax. You really don't forget things and a lot of it sticks with you no matter what. Granted I'm still a little sloppy, but my mind has gotten A LOT faster now and I can finally pick through songs which I thought were too fast or too hard. Must be the djing I have been doing the past few years. Nothing gets you thinking faster than trying to match two songs going at 144bpm... and making it sound good. Which isn't that fast, but when all you listen to is around 150bpm everything else seems slow. on a side note, who else has noticed that "pop music" has gotten faster since the early 90's? We used to be all laid back and chill, not it's fast, hard, and cheesy...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

20 years ago

Hi, I agree with spike!! Some times you get frustrated because you practice, practice and the things don't go so well, all though it might be something very simple. My teacher once told me, "No te quemes", what he meant was, If one day your practicing something that used to come out but this day it does not.... well give it a brake. The next day you will feel better. Remember, you learn more from your mistakes than from your success. Good luck!! Peace, love and music P.S. Congrats Spike !!

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

20 years ago

Hi, I agree with spike!! Some times you get frustrated because you practice, practice and the things don't go so well, all though it might be something very simple. My teacher once told me, "No te quemes", what he meant was, If one day your practicing something that used to come out but this day it does not.... well give it a brake. The next day you will feel better. Remember, you learn more from your mistakes than from your success. Good luck!! Peace, love and music P.S. Congrats Spike !!

Reply To Post AIM

2. by kysax
        (3 posts)

20 years ago

I'm with you too. I'm at the top of my section and when two people in lower chairs than me made a all-county band and i didn't i thought i was becoming worse and worse and became depressed (almost gave up too) and then i found out that i was sick that day so you never know...practice though and keep after it those weeks that i gave up on it i'm paying for it now.

Reply To Post

1. by Keith Crandal
          (3 posts)

20 years ago

Whether sax, or any other skilled activity, you will have doubts at times and your skill will not develop at a constant rate, but in spurts. You may be practicing something for a week with, what seems to be, no improvement- then, suddenly, it all comes together. Even if you understand this on an intellectual level, you will- still- get frustrated. But keep the practice schedule. My son began playing in 4th grade, almost gave it up in 6th, 9th and 11th grade. Now he is a performance major in college. Don't worry about the county auditions, they are scored by judges who have preferences and judge in different ways. I knew three trumpet players who tried for regional, two made it. The other one, however, auditioned for a college scholarship and got it. It was a different judge, on a different day. My son was chosen #2 for regional jazz band, the director for the band gave him the solos over the #1 player because he thought he was better. Two different judges, different days.

Reply To Post