Saxophone Forum

by jazzm
(2 posts)
20 years ago

playing "outside"

Anybody have any tips for playing "outside" or any players/recordings I should check out?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cyber75sax
    (33 posts)

20 years ago

Re: playing "outside"

Check out Ornette Coleman on "Something Else!!!" It's free jazz and it's awesome.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

John Zorn - Spy vs. Spy. Ornette Coleman themes, but only merely suggested amongst the wicked cacophony.

Reply To Post

3. by 5fingercurveball
    (11 posts)

20 years ago

Ornette's Free Jazz is the Bible for free jazz. However, I'd recommend starting Dolphy's Out to Lunch - it's a bit easier to get into and one of the best jazz recordings ever. Then move into Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come. Also Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity, Coltrane's Ascension, Pharoah Sanders Tahuid, I could go on forever!

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
      (155 posts)

20 years ago

I'd add Dewey Redmond to those already mentioned. Also learn to play "in" first. Having the discipline and chops to create melodies within the chord structure is a pretty important first step to playing anything convincing "outside" the structure.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

I'm with Pete. I find it interesting to hear something that is melodically established and then the extemporaneous stuff sort of slides off of that foundation. Cacophony is ok if you know how it got there.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Exactly. Sometimes you'll hear a soloist that has gone to this before they really got staying within the chord structure down well. They tend to only play outside, because that's what they do best.

Reply To Post

2. by [email protected]
          (18 posts)

20 years ago

IMO.. to successfully play outside (ie: play anything that is still connected to the flow of your solo and the song being played), you have to be as convicted of your melodies as when you play inside. You have to know how it will sound and how to get back. This really requires a thorough knowledge of harmony. . knowing the "rules" so that you can bend them with taste and subtlety. for example, you can do so much with just the circle of fifths- using V-I relationships. if that's what you're trying to do. maybe your vibe is something else. Some cats like to play out because they can.. I like to think about staying true to the musical flow of melodies and true to the song I'm playing.

Reply To Post