Saxophone Forum

by cavefish
(20 posts)
20 years ago

siguard rachers top tones for sax study book

can you still hit altissimo notes without a F# key, i dont have this key will this book still benefit me

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: siguard rachers top tones for sax study book

Yes, and Absolutely. Altissimo is more about embouchre/mpc than fingerings, though they do work in conjunction. (There is no magic formula - you have to see what works for you on your horn). The book has great exercises to guide your development of a proper embouchre and technique. The F# key may come into use at some point, but there is plenty you can do without it. I actually rarely use the F# when playing altissimo. I work more from conventional fingerings high C and below. I may experiment by adding right hand keys to affect tuning. With altissimo, you're working off the fundamental as suggested by the base fingering. I find it easier to work off mid-range fundamentals than fundamentals above, say, high C. What kind of mouthpiece are you using? Some altissimo is possible with any mouthpiece, though mpcs with a high baffle, smaller chamber, or shorter table curve make it easier for altissimo to "pop out". Don't get too wrapped up in the equipment chase, either. Get the book and focus on the exercises more than fingering advice you may find from other sources. Gotta get the technique right before worrying about fingerings. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by cavefish
      (20 posts)

20 years ago

thanks brother

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

20 years ago

It should also be noted that the book was written LOOONG before high f# keys were the norm. Rascher himself played on a Buescher from about 1930. No high f# there....

Reply To Post