Saxophone Forum

by SaxIndividual
(3 posts)
20 years ago

David Maslanka Sax Pieces

Hello, Has anybody heard of David Maslanka? The four pieces I have heard of his that pertain to saxophone: Mountain Roads for Sax Quartet, Sonata for Alto Sax and Piano, Hells gate for three saxes and band, and Concerto for Alto Sax and wind ensemble, are amazing pieces, and should really be checked out. Let me know what you think.

[Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmaniac
    (19 posts)

20 years ago

Re: David Maslanka Sax Pieces

This past year I played tenor in an honor band that played a Maslanka piece, it was called "Testament Music for a Time of Trial". It was pretty cool, he wrote it after 9/11. At its peak (after a lengthy accelerando) the drummer mic up a siren, it gets pretty loud. I heard my sectional teacher talk about hell's gate, he said it was pretty awesome. Our conductor (I think, I might be wrong) was from ASU, and apparently they are Maslanka freaks there. No idea about the mouthpieces though.

1. by Spunky2sax75
      (75 posts)

20 years ago

I have Sonata at my house now, its really hard, but its cool. It is my District Band audition piece in a couple years and lets just say I think i will need every one of those years to perfect it.

2. by freddie
    (1 post)

20 years ago

I've not seen it yet. Can you send me any copy of it?

1. by saxguy9345
      (21 posts)

20 years ago

Hey while we're sending copies of Education around, let me have a look too please?