Saxophone Forum

by golferguy675
(600 posts)
20 years ago

Ligatures

What's a good jazz ligature other than an Oleg? I've been using one for a long time, and I'm trying to find something different.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by dmb_06
    (3 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Ligatures

I have an FL Ultimate Ligature on my Otto Link 5 and...trust me...superb sound...It's amazing! It doesn't restrict the reed at all, it barely touches it so it makes the sound travel better and its easy to hit the low notes easily and the high notes no problem. Then again the Otto Link is a killer mpc And I play it on a fantastic Mark VI that I just got from Saxquest...I suggest the Ultimate Lig...it's unbelievable. It plays so freely and no restriction at ALL!

Reply To Post

2. by Kitch22
    (98 posts)

20 years ago

The Rovner Eddie Daniels is a great lig in my opinion for jazz. I've never tried the Ultimate Lig, but I've don't think I've heard a bad thing about it.

Reply To Post

1. by frostshardz
      (23 posts)

20 years ago

hi golfer! youve helped me quite alot be4. heres a suggustion. try the vandoren optimium lig... :)

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Hey those rovner ligs seriously deaden your sound. But if it works for you keep goin with it. Hey shardz, as it would happen, I just bought the optimum at a jazz fest last week(got a good deal on it too), and the response is fantastic. The plate facing with four bumps work pretty good for jazz, but I still can't find enough edge. I think I may try that ultimate lig by Francis Louis. Thanks, Rich

Reply To Post

1. by frostshardz
          (23 posts)

20 years ago

hmmm... y not try changing the mouthpeice to a more jazzy one?

Reply To Post

2. by vintage-markVI
          (12 posts)

20 years ago

the francouis louis ligature is awesome. was tryin g out some new mouthpieces and just using my rovner on them. then i saw it under the counter and figured what the hell and put on the francouis louis lig. the difference was amazing. it really opened up the sound and will take whatever you throw at it...without deadening the sound.

Reply To Post

2. by Kitch22
        (98 posts)

20 years ago

Hey golferguy, what mpc are you currently using for jazz? That may be the reason you aren't satisfied with the amount of edge you are producing. If you want a edgy mpc, you might give the Strathon Adjustatone a try. I never have tried it, but everyone who has, has told me that gives you all the edge you want. And also, it has an adjustable baffle that supposedly changes your tone from brighter to darker, and it has a built-in lig (which both seem pretty neat looking to me). Good luck, golferguy. P.S. Tell me how you like that Optimum and how it works with your current mpc/reed setup. Kitch

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Oh, the you mean the Adjustaturkey? That's what the guys I play with and I call it. I used to have a baffled mouthpiece, and it just beat the shit out of my reeds. It's not the mouthpiece, becuse that 16 dollar bonade lig had the exact tone I wanted, but bad response in the upper register, so I switched to an Oleg for like 2 years, and now I'm switching them again. I have an vintage Otto Link 7 * piece(plenty edgy) and a 95/0 berg. Nope, it's not the mouthpiece. I usually use Vandoren Java reeds, but a pro I met last week started me on some superial reeds I'm trying right now. I haven't decided wether I'll keep on using them yet though. The guy toured with he beatles, and aretha franklin, and with jimmy mcgriff(great jazz organist) in italy and holland. He's all jazz now. I just ordered the Ultimate lig, it'll be in next week. :)

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

20 years ago

BTW Kitch, the Optimum is the best classical ligature I have played. It clames to be good for jazz, but it isn't.

Reply To Post