Saxophone Forum

by Rben20
(35 posts)
20 years ago

Please! Need help on alto setup!

I having some trouble figuring out what ligature to buy. Ive heard many things about the olgeature and the ultimate by francis but is there any difference? (as in sound, projection, etc.) Also what do you guys think that plays better, the new soloist or the old soloist (long shank). Please give me your opinions...thanks for your time.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spunky2sax75
    (75 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Please! Need help on alto setup!

To be honest, I don`t know much about ligatures. I play on an inverted rubber ligature (not sure what kind, sorry) and I prefer it over metal ones. It also depends on how tight you put it on and how far up you put it on. Try tightening and loosening and moving the one you have now and see if you experience any changes. Hope I helped a bit.

Reply To Post

2. by N2Jazz
    (8 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Please! Need help on alto setup!

I've had a lot of luck with my Winslow ligature. It was rather expensive when I bought it about 10 years ago, around 50 or 60 bucks I think. But you can customize it to fit your playing style by adding or removing the rubber shocks. Works great for both jazz and legit. Would also recommend the Rovner series of ligs....fairly inexpensive and a wide range to suit your playing style.

Reply To Post