Saxophone Forum

by Spunky2sax75
(75 posts)
20 years ago

OLD Conn Soprano

I am looking at buying an old Conn soprano. I heard that it was from 1914, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. It says on the side... PATD. Dec 8, 1914 1119954 S 129749 L I know what the S and L stand for, but I`m not sure about much of anything else. If anyone has any information or knowledge of what this stuff means and if it is, in fact, from 1914, I would love to hear more about it so I know what I`m buying. Thanks for any info you might have.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by NoiseFactory
    (1 post)

20 years ago

Re: OLD Conn Soprano

Hi, The sax was built in 1924. Tony

Reply To Post

1. by Spunky2sax75
      (75 posts)

20 years ago

I checked and that was what I found too. Thanks for the help Tony. Andy

Reply To Post

2. by chrisyoungrn
    (5 posts)

20 years ago

I just got an old saxophone from my grandfather. It says exacty what the inscription says above, except the number above the L is different. It has pearl keys andthe case. What is this thing worth???

Reply To Post

1. by Spunky2sax75
      (75 posts)

20 years ago

What is the number above the L? If you can tell me that and tell me the playing condition if possible, I might be able to get a ballpark price for you.

Reply To Post

1. by chrisyoungrn
        (5 posts)

20 years ago

The number is 51558. The sax is silver with etching and I wouldnt know how it plays. My mom used to play clarinet and she was playing it a little bit. It sounded fine to me but I know nothing about instruments.

Reply To Post

1. by Spunky2sax75
          (75 posts)

20 years ago

That would have been made in 1919. I`m assuming its an alto, and I would give it at least 500 or 600 bucks. I'm sure that there are people on here who know a lot more about appraising saxes, but that seems pretty reasonable to me. If its in good playing condition, that would be about right, but if it isn`t, it will be worth a bit less. If you do happen to get it appraised by a professional, IM me on spunky2sax75 or e-mail me at [email protected] so I can know if I was at all close. I also might want to look into it, so if you can get some pictures and stuff to send to me that I can check out that would be awesome.

Reply To Post

2. by chrisyoungrn
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

my dad is insistent that it is a soprano he remembers being told that as a child. Does that change the value at all. I will try to get some pictures and get back with you. thanks.

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------- my dad is insistent that it is a soprano he remembers being told that as a child. Does that change the value at all ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Whether or not it's a soprano or an alto will change the value considerably. The altos of that era aren't worth a whole heck of a lot.

Reply To Post

4. by chrisyoungrn
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

how do i find out what it is. do i have to take it to someone for them to hear how it sounds?

Reply To Post

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

If it indeed says 'S' by the serial #, that would indicate a soprano.

Reply To Post

6. by chrisyoungrn
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

the "S" is above the serial number and the "L" below it. If it is in excellent condition and plays well, do you have any idea its worth? Thanks. I probably will not sell it but I am just curious.

Reply To Post