Saxophone Forum

by saxy
(5 posts)
20 years ago

has any one heard of a deura saxophone

i was wondering if any one knew anything about a deura tenor saxophone? looking at buying a saxophone. wondering about this one. resond ASAP please.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan2.0
    (13 posts)

20 years ago

Re: has any one heard of a deura saxophone

I saw some on Ebay with the other El Cheapo (Helmke, Monique, Maxtone, D. Parker, Simba, Bently, Maxtone, Laval, Vespro, Deura, Lesie, European and no brands) saxes. I think you shouldn't buy it until you contact someone that already has it. I wouldn't buy one because to me, they resemble Helmke. Also, what out for the cases, if the case is all black with no name brand on the case (AKA ABS Crash Case) chances are it's a no brand or Crappo Saxo. Here's a pic of a 'Bently Sax and the ABS Case: i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/ee/83/16_1.JPG

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by Spunky2sax75
    (75 posts)

20 years ago

If I were you, I would look into Selmers. I have played a lot of different saxes, and my favorites were the Selmers. Yanagisawas are also nice, but they can be ever more expensive than Selmers sometimes. Look for bigger names and you will get a better product.

Reply To Post

1. by saxy
      (5 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you very much. What kind of Selmer do you suggest i should get? I am hoping to get one for under $1000. Thank you again.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

A Selmer tenor for under $1000? Go for a Bundy II. Great horns, and built like tanks. A playable one in good condition would run somewhere between $500 and $700. If it needs to be overhauled or repadded, it might be in the $300 to $500 range. They're inexpensive because they are common - not because they are inferior. If you're willing to "go vintage", I would also recommend Conn 10M's. In similar condition, they would run about $300-$800 more than the Bundy II, but are more collectable and have well-revered sound. Again - cheap because they are common - not cheaply built (though I would avoid the 1970's Mexi-Conns). Both horns I mention don't come with a high F#, but if you're looking to get away for under $1000, you shouldn't care about that. I never missed being without a high F# on my 10M. High F# is written more commonly for alto/soprano parts anyways.

Reply To Post

1. by saxy
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

What about a Conn 16B? There is one in the classifieds for $500. Is this a good deal?

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Based on what I've seen, a Conn 16M would be worth $500 only if it were in tip-top playing condition right out of the case - without any major dent repairs needed. I wouldn't spend $500 on a 16M unless I were able to try it first. If you had to spend $300 to get it fixed up, now you're talking $800 and you're getting into the range for getting a "real" Conn 10M - at least the later variety with straight tone holes.

Reply To Post

3. by saxy
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you for all the help you have given me. I think i have enough information to buy a good sax for me.

Reply To Post

4. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

20 years ago

Yes, I was looking at the saxes on ebay and was wondering about why they were so cheap. They all seemed to be Monique or Helmke. I just want a tenor sax I can march with in band, but I hear the paint chips on them really easy. Thanks for the help!

Reply To Post AIM