Saxophone Forum

by justabandgrl
(12 posts)
20 years ago

whats what in the equipment department?

Well, I'm now a sophmore in high school and ive played concert sax and jazz, but now the band im in does jazz. Ive played alto and tenor sax since i was 9, but i know NOTHING about different kinds of mouthpieces, reeds(besides bigger numbers are thicker), brands to trust, or even just vintage and modern saxes to begin with. I want to take my playing to the next level and even possibly make a carreer, but i need some information, however basic or complicated. Please give me some knowledge and advice!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: whats what in the equipment department?

Well, instead of typing for about 60 pages about this, as I'm sure many of us could do, just go through all of the discussion pages and read about what we say, and I'm sure you'll get more than enough information to make the right decisions in the way of equipment.

Reply To Post

1. by justabandgrl
      (12 posts)

20 years ago

thanks a bunch for your advice and I have been spending a lot of time reading these discussions and its helped me A LOT. Good thing I accidentally discovered this site. Now I can get help from people who know what they are doing, cuz in Fairfield, CA, I havent found anyone yet that REALLY knows about saxes. Thanks and ill keep the questions coming, I have a ton. Heres another one: I need a little more info on specific types of mouthpieces and what kinds are good for concert sax, jazz, etc and the general qualities associated with changes in the mouthpieces them selves. Thanks again.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

The difference between jazz and classical mouthpieces is basically the brightness and amount of edge they create. Classical pieces should be darker, less edges, and resonant. A jazz piece tends to be brighter and has more edge. Though some pieces for jazz are still dark. For concert sax or classical playing, a really poular mouthpiece is the Selmer C*. It's a hard rubber piece. There's a whole bunch of others, but that's the one I mostly use. Cruise some woodwing store websites and check out others. Try wwbw.com first, because they have a lot of them and you can read reviews on what purchasers thought about them. For jazz I personally like the otto link mouthpieces, but there's others like Berg Larson, Selmer makes some, Phil Barones, there's countless brands. You also have the choice between a metal or hard rubber mouthpiece. I like to use a hard rubber piece most of the time, because it's generally darker, but metal pieces can project a lot more, and can have more edge. Metal pieces are generally more expensive that hard rubber pieces too. If you're just starting out, a good jazz mouthpiece I would recommend is the Otto Link Tone Edge mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, that's good advice, but here's my take. Section one: I hate C*s I really can't stand C*s. They're perfect for: nothing. Too loud for concert bands, too stuffy for solo work. Oddly enough, this is where i'd suggest the tone edge. it gives a nice mellow tone, with plenty of warmth, and a nice tone that can be applied to many situations. Section two: Jazz mouthpieces are all that matter anyway I hate to break it to you, but whatever sax you play, you're too loud in concert bands. No, really. SHHHH!!!!! too loud! i need to hear the trumpets! Section three: Jazz Here's where it gets tricky. I like the berg larson 90/1M hard rubber for tenor and the meyer SMS for alto. try everything, see what you like. Section four: metal mouthpieces No! Bad saxophonist! Put that down! really, don't play them unless you're willing to put all your effort into tone. wait for late college.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

not to mention, metals are crap anyways.

Reply To Post

3. by justabandgrl
          (12 posts)

20 years ago

MUCHO thanks guys, I'm goin to go down to the local music store (which has a monopoly on everything cuz its the only one in town grrrrr) and have some repair work done and ill check out what kind of mouthpieces theyre sellin along with buying some new reeds. Don't worry, plastic reeds are total crap and are for wimps. Plus my arch nemisis uses them and hes not too bright, just filthy rich. heh, thanks again, and keep the thread goin, its helped a lot.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by saxguy9345
          (21 posts)

20 years ago

Hrm... have you played plastic reeds? The search for the right equipment is usually a lifelong one, from what I understand. I know the mouthpieces I use now are just building blocks to finding MY sound, and I know that my tastes will forever evolve and there will always be a new better mouthpiece out there, etc etc. Find something you are comfortable with and are able to grow with, a piece you can develop on, and then go with it. Just another opinion. As for me, I play a Selmer C* for anything, a Siguard Rascher medium chamber for legit playing, and a Meyer G6 for anything jazz. These got me through high school, although the summer is young and I know I'll be playing something else when I audition for my college jazz band :-) Good luck~

Reply To Post AIM

5. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah spike, good point on the C*. I actually sort of like the yamaha 4c, it was designed by a really famous mouthpiece designer, his name's on the tip on my tounge, I just can't remember it right now. I just wish it was hard rubber.

Reply To Post

6. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

Section four: metal mouthpieces No! Bad saxophonist! Put that down! really, don't play them unless you're willing to put all your effort into tone. wait for late college. WTF? My florida link made my tone back in those days. anyway, try as many as you can (mouthpieces) and only start looking once you outgrew your current piece. Or once you have the money to spend on them... It's funny though, I only have 2 for my tenor... my metal link, and a selmer one (the 90 or whatever) for concert band. Those were the only two I ever needed.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

All you have for jazz is a metal piece? Metal pieces aren't really good for all types of jazz usually. You should probably have a hard rubber one too.

Reply To Post

8. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

20 years ago

Metal not good for all types of jazz? tell that to Ben Webster, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Coletrane, Dexter, Shorter, etc....

Reply To Post

9. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

it's more of an issue of it taking way more skill and time to play a metal peice. that's not true all the time, though. my berg took longer to get used to than my metal peice.

Reply To Post

10. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Coltrane didn't use only metal pieces. And the other people you mention had a smaller tonal vocabulary in result.

Reply To Post

11. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

not to mention that coltrane went throuhg hundreds upon hundreds before he even found one that was good.

Reply To Post

12. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

"All you have for jazz is a metal piece? Metal pieces aren't really good for all types of jazz usually. You should probably have a hard rubber one too." mine is good enough for me... I don't know what you're going off about but why should I fix something that isn't broke? I'm not going to spend a lot of time and defentally not a lot of money trying to find a good rubber piece when my link works fine and does everything I want to do. besides I love the tone I get and I know/knew how to work it. You're saying... "well I'm happy you found a piece that is perfect, now go and search for another one because you can't do everything with the one you found... " blah blah blah=) anyway, you should hear that link with my '41 10M... I LOVE IT!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

13. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

"it's more of an issue of it taking way more skill and time to play a metal peice. that's not true all the time, though. my berg took longer to get used to than my metal peice." yeah no shit! my link took me at least a few years to learn and get used to. It's funny though, it's all in my memory now. I sound decent on it after a few years of not playing too much. It's all in memory and pratice. Not to mention remebering all the patterns and shit. Sight reading music on the other hand is a little harder.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

14. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

20 years ago

I'm well aware that coletrane didn't only use metal pieces. However, the work for which he is most famous involved his trusty link. Also, limited tonal vocabulary?! Dexter's tonal vocabulary was more limited than Stan Getz? I think not. I have no problem with rubber pieces, play one myself. However, some people just sound better on metal pieces.

Reply To Post

15. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, the key word being usually. I wasn't suggesting that every single person with only a metal piece should go out and buy a new one, like the way you took it. I don't know what you're going off about but why should I fix something that isn't broke? I'm not going to spend a lot of time and defentally not a lot of money trying to find a good rubber piece when my link works fine and does everything I want to do. besides I love the tone I get and I know/knew how to work it. blah blah blah=) Don't Care! I was just making a suggestion, calm down.

Reply To Post