Saxophone Forum

by N2Jazz
(8 posts)
20 years ago

Are high dollar metal mp's worth it?

I've been playing Runyon plastics for the past several years, but recently heard a few musicians playing on Ponzols, Sugals, and Guardala's. Is spending 3-400 bucks on a mouthpiece really going to make that big of an impact on my playing? Anyone else out there who has moved from plastic or hard rubber to metal with drastic results???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Are high dollar metal mp's worth it?

I like my florida link... and yes it would be worth $300-$400 (if you were a professional) you get bragging rights too... "dude I just bought a $450 piece" "HOLY CRAP DUDE HOW DOES IT SOUND?" "TOTALLY SWEET DUDE!" I rest my case.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by wvujazzman
    (48 posts)

20 years ago

I play a Vandoren V16 / Optimum ligature combo on my tenor. Together they're probably worth 250 or so. I absolutely love it, and haven't even thought about going back to hard rubber. There definitely is a tonal difference, and I'd try a few if possible before you buy anything. Metals have a different sound. It'll have an impact, but whether it's "better" or not will depend on what sound you're looking for.

Reply To Post

3. by peter090
    (155 posts)

20 years ago

I think they can be. I picked up a Ponzol on ebay about a year ago and decided I was going to switch to it permanently in about 5 minutes. A person would like to believe that tje high buck mouthpieces would be more consistent but few of us try enough of the same model to make that claim. If something were to happen to my current mouthpiece I'd buy a new one without thinking twice about it. If it plays like the one I have now it would be worth every penny.

Reply To Post

1. by N2Jazz
      (8 posts)

20 years ago

What kind of Ponzol did you get?? I've been looking at a bunch of them online and at Ponzol's homepage. I've read alot about them and heard alot of good things about them, so I'm kinda leaning towards a Ponzol.

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
        (155 posts)

20 years ago

I am using an M2 with a 110 tip. If you have somewhere to try them out it would be a good idea. The difference in baffle and chamber from the M2 to the M1 and II-V-I is pretty extreme. Prior to this I had played mainly a Rubber Link (7*) and a Metal Berg (110/1 sms) The ponzol responds quicker, is more even sound throughout the range of the horn, seems more forgiving on reeds than either of those which I have been using since the mid 70's. I'd describe the sound as focused but not overly bright (darker than I expected after looking at the baffle) I lot of the guys I play with really like SR Technology as well. I'd suggest giving them a look as well.

Reply To Post

1. by N2Jazz
          (8 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for the great info Peter090! I wish there were a sax oriented store nearby that I could play a bunch of different pieces before buying one. I hate to do the try n buy over the internet, but as sax players I guess we are limited to our resources. I swear if I had the money I would start up a shop with a bunch of new model horns and a ton of mouthpieces for people to come in and try out. I would have a line a mile long of sax players! In Atlanta, there was a great store like that. I must have played a dozen different mp's and half a dozen horns before going with the yamaha 875. The gold plated mark VI at $10,000 played like a dream, but was a little out of my price range hehe

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

haha, oh yeah! i love trying equipment, but yeah, some can be a little pricey(i tried some at tenor madness) I'd say you should try out some rubber pieces too. i love both my berg90/1M(tenor) and my meyer SMS(alto) ut quite enjoyed this one sugal super gonz i played.

Reply To Post

3. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

20 years ago

Everybody knows that you CAN try a mouthpiece when you order it, right? If you don't like it, return it. This is possible for $50 Meyers and $400 Sugals.

Reply To Post

4. by peter090
          (155 posts)

20 years ago

The real problem is sometimes it takes a while to find out how a mouthpiece plays. (not to mention getting a reed matched to the moutpiece) You can go a long way towards getting your sound on even a student piece. It is a LOT easier to pick your ultimate gear when you know what your ultimate goal is. Take every opportunity to try new gear but realize that you should be able to get pretty close to the sound you want on just about anything you pick up.

Reply To Post

5. by justabandgrl
          (12 posts)

20 years ago

now THAT would be worth my high dollar- ;)

Reply To Post AIM

2. by jazz625
        (12 posts)

20 years ago

Just a quick question. I too managed to pick-up a Ponzol M2 (120) from eBay, and I am very happy with it. I would describe it just as you have (peter090). My question is how did this compare to the M1? Reading your thread it seems that you may of tried the M1 also. I live in the UK, so I am not in a position to try one of these mouthpieces. Since you described the M2 as I would, I guessed you provide an accurate description of the M1. Thanks.

Reply To Post

3. by peter090
        (155 posts)

20 years ago

Its been a while now (been playing the M2 for almost a year). They played a lot alike with to me just a slightly darker sound on the M1. I tend towards a darker sound naturally and was looking for something a little cleaner. If you feel like the M2 is a bit bright the M1 would probably be perfect.

Reply To Post

4. by heisseskorper
        (6 posts)

20 years ago

My first metal mouthpiece was a Link...then I went to a Vandoren V16...now I have a Sugal Super Gonz II Copper.....by far superior to the Link and Vandoren. The sound I get is unbelievable. Only thing with Sugals is I find synthetic reeds work better on them...I use Harry Hartman's Carbon Toptone reed and the playability ought to be a crime. This combo is what gives me my signature sound...doesn't matter what horn I'm playing

Reply To Post

5. by South Florida Sax
        (10 posts)

19 years ago

What music style do you play? What types of groups?

Reply To Post