Saxophone Forum

by frostshardz
(23 posts)
20 years ago

problem with practicing in your home

has anyone encountered complains from your neighbours while practicing? its weird that i dont recieve any since i live in private apartment flat or some call it condominium and i play my sax till way past midnight. maybe its because i close all my windows and doors to the room and switch on the air-con which might make it a little sound proof

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: problem with practicing in your home

Quite on the contrary, actually. My neighboors have commented a couple times that they enjoy listening to me practice.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

I've seen a gig-bag on WWBW that you can play into and it reduces the volume considerably. I thought it was a hoax until a fellow sax guy mentioned that he used one in college and it worked great. I don't own one myself, but apparently they work great for apartment/condo situations. I got a couple young kids, and I'd like nothing more than to be able to play After Midnight after midnight. I think the bags can be had for alto or tenor.

Reply To Post

1. by Brede
        (11 posts)

20 years ago

My neighbors don't have the guts to complain. Their the people that get the fire departments down there because their bonfire was a little too high. The people that have parties until midnight, complete with fireworks in the front yard. Plus, I live in the boondocks. There's several hundred feet between houses.

Reply To Post

1. by spottspidermunki
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

hehe i haven't gotten a complaint, and its a good thing 2, cuz my next door neighbor is a cop. so i guess i'd be dealing w/ the authority. i live at home (i'm a senior in HS) w/ 5 other people, so i'm forced to play in my garage after hours. i jus close all the doors, and hope i'm not 2 loud. its worked so far. a sock stuffed full of quilt filler (plain cotton sheets) put in the bell will make u quieter also. the problem w/ that is it limits the lower range of the horn, and makes lowBb impossible. its a possibility for the person who doesn't want to put a bag over the horn. Joel

Reply To Post AIM