Saxophone Forum

by Deacon Blues
(12 posts)
20 years ago

Considering a Selmer Alto, any suggestions

Hi there fellow sax fans, I am a high school student who has been playing the alto for 3 years and and quite overwhelmed by it. I love the saxophone!!! I don't want to keep paying rentals so I have decided to buy a used sax(because of limited budget). Now my budget doesn't really exceed $800 so I'm wondering which brand to go for. I don't want really cheap beginner models because I'm quite experienced and ambitious!!! My instructor suggested a used Selmer(because he said that Selmer is pretty noted for its altos) and that's pretty much all I've got to go on. I'd love any suggestions, thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Considering a Selmer Alto, any suggestions

Well with Selmer, I can't see you goin much passed the beginner models with 800. Selmers are pretty expensive, becuase of the quality. If you got a pro horn from selmer, it would have to be pretty heavily used. Try looking into some vintage horns, or a different brand. Is there a Selmer dealer by you that sells used horns? Go swing by there and check them out. You might possibly get one of those 62's used. But the series 2's and 3's and definetly the refrences are too much

Reply To Post

2. by frostshardz
    (23 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Considering a Selmer Alto, any suggestions

selmers are preety expensive. im not sure if you can get any used ones below $800. but you get what you pay. selmers are also usually used as a marker in reviews. it seems selmer produces extremely good horns that who ever beats it is worth considering. examples such as "im astonished by how this sax sounds! its even better than my previous selmer mark VI" or "This yani plays as equally well as a selmer series 3. which one should i get?" you can get to see such reviews at www.music123.com or www.wwbw.com (both sites are almost the same.. dunno wad they do wan). selmers are good but you can try considering many other top brands too such as yanagisawa, keilwerth and yamaha ( i only like yamahas custom series. the rest sarks). also when buying a sax, you must also know wat kind of sound you are looking for. dark? warm? bright? jazz type? classical type? when buyign a used sax, make sure you check the paddings, corks, buttons. see if they are in good condition. check also the tuning and look out for dents. make sure theres no green goop or maggots inside. remember to bring along some antiseptic wipes to clean the mouthpeice before use. ya.. thats bout all.. good luck :)

Reply To Post