Saxophone Forum

by jaankaden
(4 posts)
20 years ago

One-Piece Straight Sop V.S. Removable Neck Straight Sops

hi, i remembered reading a really long time ago that there were various subtle differences between a one-piece straight sop when compared to the ones with removable necks. despite only the slight difference, it seems that a few people have mentioned that the ones fashioned out of a single piece without a removable neck tended to have a more centered tone, etc. i'm not very clear on my facts but i was hoping to see if any of you might have an opinion on the issue.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: One-Piece Straight Sop V.S. Removable Neck Straight Sops

In general, for the same model of horn, the curved neck will give a slightly warmer tone. Has to do with more sound reflection at the top of the horn and the positioning of the bell more towards the ground. It's not a huge difference, but somewhat noticeable. Having said that, my Yani soldered straight neck sop is much warmer than the Yamaha 475 soldered straight neck sop and even warmer than some curved removable neck sops I've tried. So when you compare brand X, to Brand Y, there's no telling how the two will fare against each other. Curved necks giving a warmer sound is a generality, though there are warm straight neck sops out there. Personally, I like not having to fidget with a removable neck. They are small and delicate and it's just one more mating/attachment point to go wrong in my opinion. There would be more tonal diversity at your fingertips with a dual neck horn, though. To me, having a different mouthpiece for diversity is more practical than fussing with multiple necks.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

Multiple necks on my soprano is pretty important to me. I have a silver, original, and copper neck, and they're all totally different. That's the only sax I have three necks for, and it gives me a great range in warmth and brightness.

Reply To Post

1. by gedawg17
        (7 posts)

20 years ago

I have a yamaha yss 675 with 2 necks. It is a straight sop. The curved neck feels so much better than the straight one. The only problem with removable soprano necks is that they will leak. I have not seen a new one that doesn't leak. The necks can be expanded of course so if you want to go through with that, go for removable necks, there will just be those extra neck expanding fees wheras with a no-neck soprano, you won't have any of that so pick your poison.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

bull shit. Don't listewn to this one, he doesn't know what he is talking about. I have owned 2 buescher truetones, neither of them leaked, I have played 2 BRAND NEW series III's, neither of those leaked. I played an acquaintence's curved yanagisawa the other day, just in from wwbw, it didn't leak. my teacher bought a beater true tone to rebuild himself, it didn't leak. If you are going to buy a substandard sax, you might have some problems. How many new alto necks do you know of that leak? or tenor? or bari? or even C melody, which was a low cost horn. For me, there is no question aobut it, I would go buy a removeable neck soprano with an astronomically low chance of having a leaky neck.

Reply To Post