Saxophone Forum

by glen_ice saxaphone
(4 posts)
20 years ago

what can i do to help my problem with me and my saxaphone?

Hi there, i just got a new student model saxaphone. It can play quite well but i can't stop myself from pushing (water) out of my mouth and it gets suck at the middle of the saxphone. I need to know the correct way for playing the saxaphone because i need to play well very soon. I hope you all can reply me! :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: what can i do to help my problem with me and my saxaphone?

(I'm going to make an assumption that you're new to this) this may be off subject... but a lot of problems can be worked out on their own by just playing the damn thing for a while (years) like for instance... I never made a effort to get my fingers close/on the keys all the time. They did that after years of playing and me noticing that I can play faster with them closer. The same goes for typing, but that inmproved once I went to college and had msn/yahoo/aol on all the time. same goes for tone, scales, and virtually everything else. it's also intresting that the easy way is most often the right way... It's easier to play the scale/run right then try to boch it with extra notes and crap that shouldn' t be there. anyway, just keep playing and don't worry about it too much.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

It's an eombechure(how ever you spell it) problem. I can't really tell you what you're doing wrong, because I obvously can't see you, so look into a private teacher.

Reply To Post

1. by wesmiller
        (55 posts)

20 years ago

Sounds like you suffer from having too much saliva. In short: your full of water :). Don't worry! Its a very common problem. You are probably getting a spitty, watery sound when you play...right?. The problem is not in the horn it is in your mouth and the mouthpiece. Start doing the following: 1. When you practice, constantly swallow. Keep your mouth free of extra spit. Dentists love it when we have extra saliva because it removes bacteria and debris; but it makes playing a real pain. 2. Put the mouthpiece in your mouth and form a loose yet firm embouchure and suck (don't blow). Suck out the spit like a little vacuum cleaner. You will need to do this repeatedly during the course of your playing. Just get use to it. It grosses out some beginners. Look at it this way: at least its YOUR spit :). 3. Keep the the mouthpiece clean and (if you are a beginner, I'm assuming you are) use Rico #2 reeds no higher than 2 and a half strength. If you play and or practice on a regular basis (daily) you'll go through 1-2 of these a week. They don't last long. But to keep them from sounding spitty you will need to rotate them. This lets them dry out. A. Never play onthe same reed twice in the same day B. Never play the same reed two days in a row. I hope this helps you!

Reply To Post